February 26, 2020, 11:10:09 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Release 4.30 of SignagePlayer for Windows (native exe)  (Read 57460 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Release 4.30 of SignagePlayer for Windows (native exe)
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »
Release 4.30 of SignagePlayer for Windows (native exe)

We are happy to announce the release of SignagePlayer 4.30 native exe for Windows 32/64

With SignagePlayer 4.30 the SignageController is no longer a separate process command, instead it is a DLL that loads into memory every time the SignagePlayer runs.
This allows for quicker communication (or lack of) between the SignageController library and SignagePlayer.

Some of the benefits of the new SignagePlayer native exe include:

. Easy install process
. Support for RemotePad: http://www.digitalsignage.com/_html/signage_video.html?videoNumber=RemotePad
. Support for Internet Of Things (IoT): http://www.digitalsignage.com/_html/internet_of_things_digital_signage.html
. Smooth upgrade from one version to the next (no longer using the Adobe AIR runtime)
. Improved communication between SignagePlayer and SignageController (library)
. Improved hiding of Windows Task manager and retrieval when closing the SignagePlayer
. No longer using a .bat file to start the SignageController
. Resolves any racing conditions between SignageController and SignagePlayer
. Retrieve the IP address of remote station from SignageStudio > Stations
. Auto player restart on Desktop resolution changes
. Auto player adjustment in vertical mode
. New built in Socket server on SignagePlayer for RemotePad and IoT (more on IoT to be announced soon)
. RemotePad allows users to control the mouse cursor from a mobile phone so they can play games and interact remotely with a signage screen
. Ability to add native win32 DLL within the SignagePlayer (future release will include native capture device, native resolution manager and more)

To download SignagePlayer 4.30 native visit: http://galaxy.signage.me/Code/install/exe/CloudSignagePlayerSetup.exe
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:33:41 PM by admin »

JMH

• View Profile
Re: Release 4.30 of SignagePlayer for Windows (native exe)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:55:59 AM »
Sounds good! Gonna try this soon  :D

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:47:06 AM »
Seems pretty stable overall but 1 issue I have encountered is on an internet connection that does down or very slow almost non existent, the player just looped the same ad over and over again. When I rebooted it did the same thing but looped a different ad over and over. Issue cleared up when I rolled back the player to previous version and reinstalled player at location.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
will retest with no net connection
regards

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »
Seems pretty stable overall but 1 issue I have encountered is on an internet connection that does down or very slow almost non existent, the player just looped the same ad over and over again. When I rebooted it did the same thing but looped a different ad over and over. Issue cleared up when I rolled back the player to previous version and reinstalled player at location.

Can you give specifics on how your campaign is setup, we tried running player with no internet , tried cutting off internet in the middle of playback, tried connecting to accesspoint with no internet and playback was all good.  Also please let us know what version of 4.30 you are using and if you arent using the latest version please make sure to download and install the latest version and test again.

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »
It was most updated version -

The problem was the speed and ping of the internet was so weak that even the local internet browsers would try to connect for a min then give out. Although windows, the signage player and logmein would have JUST enough (bytes of information) to say yes it is online but not enough to actually do anything further such as accept a remote session. My guess is that the software said yep it's connected got a tiny piece of the timeline, timed out, but then got some more connectivity so retried on and on and on.

To further strengthen the software, perhaps it should do an internet check before it tries to update/download new content - even if connected = true, if it doesn't have a strength of X/Mbps do not update (show orange circle in studio) or something.. similar to how netflix does a quick 5 second speedtest just before it launches the show...

Typically you would have internet or no internet so I'm sure the system works under those rules - it's just when the internet is totally goofy like teasing the player that it causes this to happen. I suspect this could be a problem with rural internet hubs that can go in and out...

Hope this helps.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
dropped packets are notoriously bad for tcp/ip, even chrome browser would hang on a jittering Ethernet port,  kind of an oddity and the nature of the beast...

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 04:01:26 AM »
True but if the software could run a quick test prior to allowing any type of update it 'could' greatly reduce errors. I have seen other players hang on the splash screen at random times as well and now that I think of it, it is probably because of a jittery connection. As much as we all love WiFi, it does come with spontaneous risks - but to an advertiser, they could give a crap less about our problems because they pay to be displayed. So that said, anything that can be done to improve 99.99% uptime should be a prime focus.

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
I've noticed that the watchdog is more often showing as not connected on the 4 units that I upgraded to this. 2 running XP and 2 win7 64bit. I updated to the latest versions. FYI.

blackfox123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 01:33:39 AM »
Restart signage player from studiopro seems to just quit the application and doesn't return. Is this suitable for production environments? If one has over 100players in the field with this updated, and they all quit on restart.. not too good.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »
Restart signage player from studiopro seems to just quit the application and doesn't return. Is this suitable for production environments? If one has over 100players in the field with this updated, and they all quit on restart.. not too good.

What OS are you running, Just tested this on a few of our test station on the lab and all worked fine with no issues.  Please make sure that you dont have anymore signage controller.bar shortcut on your startup folder as well.

blackfox123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 02:45:57 AM »

What OS are you running, Just tested this on a few of our test station on the lab and all worked fine with no issues.  Please make sure that you dont have anymore signage controller.bar shortcut on your startup folder as well.

Fresh installation of Win7e POS Ready.
I only have one .bat file, that starts 4.30.2 .exe

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »

Fresh installation of Win7e POS Ready.
I only have one .bat file, that starts 4.30.2 .exe

[/quote]

Hmm.. that is odd, can you check if you have the Watchdogdesktop.exe running in under processes?

blackfox123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Hmm.. that is odd, can you check if you have the Watchdogdesktop.exe  running in under processes?

Yep, there is a WatchDog.exe service running

blackfox123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
I deleted everything and re+installed it, running the installation as administrator, this seems to have fixed it. I will keep testing it on my other stations to be sure.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines