July 08, 2020, 09:46:18 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: VGA, RGB or HDMI?  (Read 4599 times)

Buster

• View Profile
VGA, RGB or HDMI?
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »
Can someone offer a suggestion on what type of cable gives the best picture?  I don't want to worry about "safe zones" in my layouts so I have used VGA as it "auto formats" the screen to the edge.  ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: VGA, RGB or HDMI?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »
HDMI and DVI both will give full HD ....
VGA may not look as good...
Eric.

Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »
Does DVI automatically format the picture, or will I need safe zones when creating content?

James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »
I too don't use HDMI or DVI because I seem to always struggle with getting the content to the edge of the display. VGA just seems to work and it looks good enough out to 1355x768 or so in my opinion. Eric is right though, there is no beating the quality of HDMI or DVI-D at any resolution. SVGA is an analog signal that maxes out at about 2048 x 1536 or so, while HDMI is an uncompressed digital signal that can current go to 4196 x 2160 or more. The uncompressed digital signal will always be the best quality when going to a display with a true digital input.

Now if the manufacturers would just standardize a way HDMI and DVI-D overscan works to get full screen, we will all be happier!

Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:53:59 PM »
Wow.  That really makes me think.  Maybe I should start using the safezones and use the DVI-D or HDMI. 

bworsfold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 06:29:22 PM »
If using TV with the display, I have found that I CAN'T use HDMI cables as there is residual sound that makes the PC audio cable to the TV not work.  Switching to VGA was my only option.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines