August 20, 2019, 08:59:40 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Updating the media player  (Read 5717 times)

gertkh

• View Profile
Updating the media player
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
Hi

Every time i update my station with a new version, during the upgrade the Media signage controller is disabled, and it will not be started again before a reboot of the station or if you start it manual.

It is frustrating, but a minor bug, hope that you will look at it in a upcoming release.

/Gertkh

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Updating the media player
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:39 AM »
Hello,

Which OS are you running?
Which version of the SignagePlayer?
What is your login email (email us)
Which campaign?

Let us know so we can test...

Eddie - MediaSignage.com

marcned

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:12:49 AM »
Hi,

I've got a similar problem. Each time I update the desktop player the Signage Controlller won't start when booting. I have to manually place a new Signage Controller shortcut in the startup-menu of my PC to get it working again.

I'm using an Asus Eeebox with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Regards,

Marc

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »

Please provide the exact steps to reproduce as I do not see such an issue on my end.

Thank you for your interest in MediaSignage,

Eddie - MediaSignage.com

marcned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:41:23 AM »
Signage Player is running on the player side including SignageController. Signageserver is 'Connected
Step 1) In SignageStudio ->Stations - Select the player you want to update
Step 2) Select 'Check for new version' and confirm
Step 3) SignagePlayer starts to download and update new version.
Step 4) SignagePlayer closes together with SignageController
Step 5) SignagePlayer is updated and restarted BUT NOT the SignageController!

The SignageController will restart after a reboot of the machine. But, because during the update the SignageController won't restart, you cannot remotely reboot the machine... so you have to call your client to do this manually. For the record... I did this on a Windows7 Home Premium and Starter Edition.

Marc

I've tried the same steps on a WindowsXP machine and there everything worked fine. Maybe it's a Windows7 issue?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:18:49 AM by marcned »

vdmidia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
I am very frustrated with the delay in solving this problem. It is happening on all computers that use, including those already installed and working well. Once I got like one of the updates. Now the players just stop working without me doing anything. Just close by themselves and kill the process "signagecontroller.exe. I can only return to viewing the player manually. You can not be overseeing all the screens all the time just to see if the player stopped. I need a quick fix, but you insist that the problem is always with our local system. Look one way to solve it quickly. Otherwise I'll have to find another solution that fits. I am tired of exchanging emails with the technical area. I want a solution. I have no more time to wait. At least send me an older version that works right, and have more certainty that version works well before sending them to auto update the players. Excuse me, but I need a solution. And the response I got from that version 2 of AIR is still with many problems?! So why do you offer this version? At least to me, I did all the installations of version 2 of Adobe Air was because the link of the desktop player that you already offer downloads and installs automatic. If does not work well because you insist on installing it? I await a solution.

This topic is in Signage Player / desktop reports the same problem.
"Hi,

I'm running desktop player version 2.1.4002 (+ Signage Controller) together with AIR Version 2.02.12610 and I'm having problems with rebooting the desktop player. The player will shut down and won't reboot. This occurs during synchronization of the content and when I use the Station manager (Update Signage Player with new changes). As far as I know this started after I updated the desktop player to version 2.1.4002.

Suggestions?

Regards,

Marc

Desktop player conf:
Asus Eeebox
Windows 7 Home Premium"

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:40:03 PM by vitrinedtv »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 05:33:38 PM »
Hello Mark,
Please run Adobe AIR 1.5.3 available here:
http://mediasignage.com/files/AdobeAIRInstaller1.5.1.8210.exe
You may need to uninstall AIR 2.0 first and install AIR 1.5.3
Also, be sure to update to version 2.1.5012 of the SignagePlayer Desktop version
With 2.1.5012 and AIR 1.5.3 all should be stable as thousands of users run this release.
Please let me know ASAP,

Eric - MediaSignage.com

vdmidia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
computers that have version 2.1.1 or lower of Signage Player
working well, even with the version 2 of the Adobe Air.
Those who upgraded to any version superior to the 2.1.1 Signage Player has the same problem: not restart
when updating the campaign. Please check it soon, I'm losing
credibility because of it. I'm sure not a problem in my
computers.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is that you COPIED the SignageController.exe and pasted it AWAY from c:\program files which YOU CANNOT DO.

You need to make a shortcut to c:\program files\SignagePlayer\win32\SignageController.exe and NOT COPY THE FILE to your startup or IT WILL FAIL.

Just use the SignageController.bat that we create and put it in your startup. Now, if you have a Windows that is NOT English you may need to edit your SignageController.bat file and modify the c:\program files (or whatever is listed there in YOUR language) and change it to c:\%PROGRAMFILES%\.... which will fix the SignageController.bat that may not be working for you!!!

Sean - MediaSignage.com
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:10:10 AM by admin »

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines