June 26, 2019, 06:59:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Proof of play  (Read 4406 times)

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Proof of play
« on: October 02, 2016, 11:52:58 PM »
I went through the Adnet platform videos and its a great solution for the OOH vendors. Unfortunately i am not an OOH vendor , I manage customers screens with their Messages. The customer expects a report from me that how many times every message either a video or audio has played in that screen this we used to get it done using earlier version of proof of play. Now that proof of play is totally gone.
For example i have one timeline where i populate 10 scenes and the scenes has to appear one after another based on the scene time. I used to create proof of play for each scene and get the reports. Now i am totally in loss on how do i give reports. I tried to check for creating ad assets but it does not allow me to put scenes as packages
I understand that giving great features are good but some of the basics need to be maintained.

StarVue

• View Profile
Re: Proof of play
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:22:50 AM »
ANOOP: I need the same exact thing you are looking for; (EASY) Proof-of-play for a single client on a simple timeline.
The MediaADNET is too complex for our simple need.

I'm with you on this!!  8)
    -StarVue

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
Starvue: Probably we need few more sponsors to this request to get the attention.. Should we start an online petition for this  8)

StarVue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »
Let the petitioning begin!!!   :o
Maybe by keeping this thread alive.  8)

What do we want? >>>  Easy (Non mediaADNET) Proof of play !!!

Who's with us?  ;D

mati 6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:30:17 AM »
PoP set by default for every resource (an an global option of course) - that would be something!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:58:03 AM »
Hi guys,
let me give you a quick rundown on the road map on out next gen digital signage release.

Late this year we will release new Studio and Player 100% optimized for GPU processing, this will get us ready for mediaTOUCH which will be the focus in 2017 with dozens of new touch based components, smooth touch enabled tickers, virtual keyboards, beacon support, live maps  and much more; this will be a game changing release cycle.

In parallel we are developing an open source Angular 2 powered Adnet UI and API for StudioDashboard as a module.
This will allow anyone to either use our new UI as is, or to create adnet packages / proof of play.

Developers can use the API to generate proof of play configuration via a programmable JS interface with all the power of the mediaADNET.

With that, we will also be able to provide samples for anyone needing a way to easily create a POP setup as well as estimates and reports. This should give you the flexibility to automate the process of POP while taking advantage of the adnet features.

I hope this clears things up,

regards.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
Would look forward to the new features hopefully POP will be simpler

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »
once we released the final version of the mediaADNET for StudioDashboard, we will open up to requests for automated UI / API features.

regards

falas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 12:42:34 AM »
Why did you guys remove the proof of play functionality to begin with? It should be a very simple and very highly-used module that could have carried on as a non-adnet module. It shouldn't need to be scripted or accessed through an API, and shouldn't ever be removed even partially.

I was just about to kick off an entire ad-based network of 100 screens with proof of play for customers to see that I'm meeting the agreed upon terms, as well as for me to diagnose problem ad spaces or screens. What do I do now?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 11:59:07 AM »
Proof of play still works on SignagePlayer that is 4.x
The new proof of play implementation via the mediaADNET started with release 5.0 of the SignagePlayer.

And while I agree that the previous proof of play (4.x) was much simpler to use, it lacked many of the feature you are going to need as your ad network scales up. So I recommend you spend a bit of time learning the new adnet as its proof of play is MUCH more robust, and it will provide you with a lot more details in reports, projections and the entire admey solution is well tested.

In addition, we will be releasing the entire API for the mediaADNET (powered by JavaScript / Google's Angular2) next month.
With it, you will be able to easly create ANY  kind of automation for ads injection (package creation across businesses etc) as well as reports, which is a must have for any ad network that needs to scale.

So all in all, you can continue and use 4.x for now, but if you are just starting out, I highly recommend you invest in the new adnet.

On that topic, all of our developers are pushing HARD on our next major release, 6.0 which will introduce a game changing touch solution via mediaTOUCH 6.0, which will also integrate with mediaADNET so you will get all the benefit of live stats on user gestures and kiosk control.

All in all everything you loved in release 4.x as far as POP is still available in 5.X, just more powerful with better reports!
hope that helps

regards
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:03:00 PM by admin »

falas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 11:35:06 PM »
Is there a listing somewhere with the steps to how to get proof of play to work? Something like this:
1. Login to your enterprise account on SignageStudio.
2. Go to the MediaStore and install AdNet from your list of uninstalled components
3. Make sure ad privileges are enabled for the privilege account that you want to control proof of play with.
4. Login to the account for which you want to record ads.
5. Click on Navigation from the Menu bar, then click on AdNet if it's not already checked.
6. Create a set of rates through AdNet->Config->Ratesby clicking + on the rates tab and then setting the name and hourly rates in the properties window. If you'd like to change the rates a particular hour slot uses, click on the color in the properties window, then click the slots you would like to change on the visible weekly schedule.
7. Enable the stations you would like to display Ads by clicking on Targets and then selecting a station, and clicking enabled and selecting the rate you just created for that station. I'm unsure if you have to fill the Keys field.
8. Click on AdNet->Network->Packages
9. Click on + in the packages window and fill out the details of the package in the properties window
10. Add content to the package by dragging and dropping them into the package from the Toolbox->resources window
11. Add a target or a station (that has been enabled in step 7) that will start displaying AdNet related material by clicking on Toolbox->targets and searching for the name of the station that you want to add then dragging it into the Targets window.
12. Go to campaigns and add the adnet module from one of your resources into one of the channels, selecting the same channel as the package you created (from the properties window of the adnet module after double clicking it).
13. Click Save and update stations.
14. Good job! it should NOT work now and I have no idea how many more steps we have to do for a simple proof of play! At this point, I tried resetting the cache remotely on the device that plays version "4.34.13" and airVersion "3.6.0.6090" and it still doesn't work! But hey, it definitely trumps the older way of doing it though, cause i didn't feel a sense of accomplishment when I used proof of play previously, as it was only moderately difficult to get it set up the first time. I'm a massochist btw and like to torture myself, so I get double pleasure from setting up proof of play on 5.x (pain first, then sense of accomplishment, supposing it gets set up) that I didn't get that in 4.x.

I've spent around an hour on the video tutorials, and around 4 hours between tutorials and getting it to work, with no luck. I'm a computer scientist that's quite quick at picking new things up, so forgive me when I say that setting up this feature is ridiculous.

Finally, proof of play isn't just for ad usage; I'd use it for troubleshooting a lot as well. I recommend you keep it, and you revise your internal processes that made you decide that it should be removed and get substituted by a way more complicated process that though may cover a lot more than your previous proof of play, and is a welcome feature, can't substitute proof of play in a practical manner. I also suggest you let many admin users test and give their feedback on changes in general, which you probably do, but I'm guessing you pick up new requirements, then release, and wait for people to essentially do what I just did in this post before hitting the drawing board on new changes just released to the system.

I may have vented up there a bit, and am hoping for a solution, which I will need to run my business, but your work is appreciated by the way. On the plus side, I noticed that the program does a much better job at providing real-time monitoring statistics, and it feels like the desktop version is less buggy. AdNet is an amazing thought if implemented right, and so is mediaTouch from what you mentioned. Just keep your customers in the loop, at least on the functionality and UX side.

In any case, I would prefer to have a version of 5.x that includes proof of play, but if it won't be provided, please post a link to the last version containing proof of play so I can use that instead (there are probably many others that are in my shoes as well so its something to consider if you're against it).

UPDATE:

For those looking for a link to the old signage studio, it is galaxy.signage.me/Code/Install/air/4.34/CloudSignageStudio.air, haven't tried it yet myself but it should work.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:42:08 PM by falas »

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »
Sean: I think everyone appreciates the work that has gone on Adnet which is a great tool for OOH and Advertisers. From what the feedback that is being thrown up on this post is that there are huge number of people who just need the proof of play to monitor whether the resources are running. No sure if anyone would like to take the trouble of configuring the adnet for this purpose. For example if i were to know whether the scene has run then there is no way i can do that.
Please rethink on the proof of play for basic level we cant expect customers to know JS or API integrations etc as you have said earlier.

StarVue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 05:16:41 AM »
I agree with Anoop & Falas.
    The mediaADNET is great for what it is, however I will never use it for the same reasons as Anoop said.
I have had 2+ decades in the Broadcast Television market, and tracking something as simple as one AD/resource/scene should not be this difficult.

I would like to 2nd the request: Please rethink on the proof of play for basic level
ALSO as Anoop said: we cant expect customers to know JS or API

We love your product - but we are the users, hear us!  8)
    -StarVue

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 09:08:10 AM »
Hi guys,
we will for sure re-visit proof of play but it will be after mediaTOUCH which will begin releasing in early 2017 and continue with updates until summer of 2017. Once that's out we will re-visit POP and see how to apply it independently of the adnet.

Also, we will start releasing more APIs and videos on how you can automate POP via the new adnet API.

Let me also add that the mediaADNET is designed to be used as a business to business OR as within a single business.
what I am trying to say is that it is very flexible and you can create different configurations powered by ad packages even if you run a single master account and do all your sub-account management yourself (as apposed to having others manage their own sub account)

regards

trueb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 07:02:17 AM »
POP reporting for all regular timeline items in conjunction with mediaAdNet is exactly what I need!!! Display owner's want/need to know how often their items displayed in comparison to their local and customer/reseller/global ad packages. Marketing ROI 101.

In addition, I really want to be able to randomize items within a channel to play between timelines. My clients and I mainly use full screen (no divisions, due to our resolutions being very small ex. 112x192). We want the ability to have a timeline with only one full screen channel dedicated to ad packages that can automatically play randomly throughout the regular display owner's timelines. Therefore, the display owner doesn't have to worry about incorporating the ad packages and can easily update their campaigns often with the expectation that they know every XX minutes or seconds the ad package will automatically interrupt their items content for XX minutes or seconds. Wishful thinking? Hope not!

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines