August 23, 2019, 04:06:43 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: SignagePlayer running on Linux machine  (Read 3814 times)

denystetsenko

• View Profile
SignagePlayer running on Linux machine
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:16:55 AM »
Hello,

Just found your digital signage solution yesterday and it looks very promising. There are few things i would like to clarify.

My remote displays are connected to the Linux machines. But i cannot find a SignagePlayer for Linux.
However, there is this "Preview" mode, which basically generates a web link to a campaign, that can be viewed in a web browser.
Can I use this "Preview" link to display my campaigns on the remote Linux machines in the Web-browser? How reliable is it? Is it the best option?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Denys

addy4488

• View Profile
Re: SignagePlayer running on Linux machine
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:56:06 AM »
Not sure on the preview option, but there is no Linux software application for this product. It was discontinued some time ago.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:46:57 AM »
You can use our deprecated SignagePlayer for Linux: http://galaxy.mediasignage.com/Code/mediaServerSignagePlayer.air (needs Adobe AIR)

but I highly recommend you use our latest and greatest Android: http://android.digitalsignage.com

reece_screencorp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 05:27:28 AM »
Hi

Can I just ask how comparable the Linux player is with the current version of the signage studio?

What components / features would work and what would be missing.

Thank you

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »
are you reffering to the Studio or Player?
Our StudioLite and StudioPro run the same in all OSs.
As for Player, the Linux is deprecated and while works (does not support some of the newer social components and adnet for example) , I recommend Android or Windows (and soon Apple TV)

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
Like many before, the updated linux or raspberry player would be greatly appreciated.

Adobe decided to release updates to the flash player. So now after many years later the flash player is up to date.. :D
Any plans to get back on the linux platform, since the flash player is now up to date? Or as a future roadmap to develop new linux or raspberry player?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:36:01 AM by Marks »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 06:39:33 AM »
It is not flash the is needed, we need an Updated Adobe Air for linux, for our latest player to be compatible with it again.

derykmarl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 03:31:34 AM »
You can use the web player with Chrome (we use the Google one rather than Chromium since that has the built-in Flash player) for a similar effect, you just don't get remote management - it doesn't appear as a 'station' - so have to find some way of refreshing the page on each player when you make changes.  Bit of an exercise for the reader, there are various ways you could do it and Linux is flexible enough.

A little hint:

unclutter & /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --kiosk --start-maximized --incognito --disable-infobars YOUR_PLAYER_URL

Where YOUR_PLAYER_URL is a html page containing the embed code.  We also put a div around it with specific dimensions to keep everything contained to the correct size, some CSS to make it fill the screen and remove the URL to get rid of the scrollbar.  You're not technically allowed to remove the URL per the EULA, so this can only be done privately/internally, you can't publish it anywhere as then you'd be breaking the agreement.

The unclutter package is needed and disables the mouse pointer after inactivity.

Making Linux + the web player act a bit like signageplayer is very hacky indeed especially if you want to try and have a refresh trigger mechanism, so if the above is not enough to help then it's a sign you should just get Android boxes :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines