October 17, 2019, 11:24:53 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Refreshing data from Dropbox or Drive  (Read 3126 times)

justinVMT

• View Profile
Refreshing data from Dropbox or Drive
« on: May 24, 2016, 04:23:40 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been developing an application that should upload an image on certain intervals so I can show that image in Signage player using the dropbox API and Google (Drive) API.
Yet, against my expectations the player keeps showing the old versions/data which arent even present on either Dropbox or Drive anymore. I have read somewhere that Signage studio saves external resources to its own cloud environment, so I assume the issue and solution lies in that area. Is there any setting I missed to have Signage studio check/reload its resources regularly? 

Please help me out, after implementing 2 API's without the desired results I am kind of worried to write for another approach.

If you need more info to be able to help please mention so, and I'll provide it.

With kind regards,

Justin

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Refreshing data from Dropbox or Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »
why not use our dropbox component?

justinVMT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 10:50:55 PM »
why not use our dropbox component?

Hello,

First of all, thanks for your reply. But thats what I've tried, using the Dropbox component and the (Google) Drive component. I just fgured i should provide the information about how the data is provided to Dropbox/Drive. Yet the problem persists of seeing old images which are often no longer present because the image has been overwritten for a new one on Dropbox or Drive.

Any other suggestions tips?

With kind regards,

Justin

P.S. One more thing, where can I find the signage studio API? Maybe a solution to my problem is calling a function that clears the cache and "forces" to retrieve data from Drive or Dropbox
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:36:18 AM by justinVMT »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:48:10 AM »
well we do cache the data on both player and server.
I believe on player caching is 5 min and server is 3 min, but within 10 min data should be latest from google drive or dropbox respectively.

justinVMT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »
Yeah such refresh times would be perfect. But it doesnt appear to do that. For several hours it has been showing a dated picture while there is a new resource available on Drive. It only changed picture once i forced cleared cache and pressed the play button again from "Stations". Is there anything i can check, a setting that might've turned off? (I'm not the only one included in this project, so it could be possible someone turned something off, somewhere ;) )

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:32 AM »
Make sure you are not replacing an old file with another file of the same file name, just delete the old file and upload new file on the dropbox folder.

justinVMT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 12:23:24 AM »
Thank you very much, that was the issue indeed.

Now I delete the old file and recreate a new one under a different guid name and it works perfectly.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines