November 18, 2019, 07:38:06 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: SignagePlayer goes black screen  (Read 7557 times)

Marks

• View Profile
SignagePlayer goes black screen
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:49:22 AM »
Hello hello.

Question to all of you. Have you experienced black screen when Signageplayer.exe is up and running? The problem is that I have placed HTML-components, images and videos to my timelines. One timeline can have two different outputs since the screen needs to be divided at some point due to my resources. Timelines are only 4-5 minutes long. So, nothing fancy.

Problem is that when the player starts, it might be up and running for 1-10 hrs and all is good. But at some point the player screen goes black. No specific time when the player goes black, it just does. When the screen is black, the player is online but nothing is on the screen. Player output screen might flash couple times but still nothing. When I quit and restart the player, then the player feed is back. Now the player can play material until next blackout. 

Solutions? Is the HTML-component the problem? Any updates coming soon?
The browser component is no good here since it will only load itself so many times and crash the player.

This question came up couple months ago here:
http://script.digitalsignage.com/forum/index.php/topic,6495.0.html

Thanks!

Marks

• View Profile
Re: SignagePlayer goes black screen
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:34:29 PM »
No luck.
Tried to clear cache and registered all players again.

Here is image about what happens: dropbox.com/s/um41k0di29drrb6/blackoutscreen.jpg?dl=0
Just this morning I noticed that one of the players have blackout. The player is stopped here, but the screen area is still on top of everything. When i try to start the player, nothing happens. Black area is still on top. Only player reboot can clear this.

The timeline is simple: dropbox.com/s/pcfca7zh9w3m7hm/timeline.jpg?dl=0
Few HTML-components, images and video. Total lenght of 2 minutes.

Running out of options here. Something causes the screen to go black.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:39:51 AM by Marks »

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »
What format is your video content in? A few years back, we noticed that, over time, FLVs and MOVs would somehow become corrupted and just show black. We would actually have to reload to the signage cloud via Studio to get them working again. Seems weird because you would think once cached to the drive, shouldn't matter what happens on the cloud. But there you go.

We switched to MP4 and have not had this problem since.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:13:08 PM by teethstraight »

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 06:25:33 AM »
Hi.

Thank you for the reply.
All the timeline videos are in .mp4 format. Images are .jpg or .jpeg. Still having black screens.

Thinker77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 03:56:18 AM »
I am having the same issue and also have HTML elements but otherwise a simple layout.  I find that the schedule randomly works and then stops and hangs on a black screen like you mentioned.  I'm not sure if it might be a time zone issue but I'm not sure where the time zone setting might be for DigitalSignage.

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 01:21:51 AM »
Ok. I disabled the advanced scheduling. The player seems to be ok for now. I haven't noticed black screens for couple days now.

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »
Hi.

Nope, still having black screens.
What else needs to checked or changed?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »
please check with live chat for immediate support

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:49:38 PM »
Just a quick update.
Updated all my demo Windows PCs (Patch Tuesday updates) that were having black screens every now and then. Its been a week and I haven't seen any black screens, at least not yet. Don't know if this issue continues, but I am hanging with these February updates for now. At least its been good that I haven't seen any black screen for a week. Will see what happens.

Maybe all will come crashing down after i have posted this message.  :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:10:40 AM by Marks »

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 04:01:59 AM »
Nope, blacks screens still appearing to the players. What shall i try next.. Lets see. Ill be in touch.

mtrigg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »
Black Screens here at two different screens.

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 12:39:57 AM »
Black Screens here at two different screens.

Hi. Question.. are you using HTML-components on your timelines? What type of network are you using? LAN or Wifi?

One screen is still having black screen now and then. This player uses 4G wifi. My opinion is that, this type of network device is not the most reliable. Yes, it works but the network speed is not the fastest. When the player is playing/looping the timeline, the HTML-components are loaded every time from the links. If the connection is lost, the HTML-component displays only a white screen. But, somehow the player goes completely black and stuck at some point. When player is stuck, i have seen that a white screen tries to flash on the screen division. Only a player reboot helps.

I was thinking about the possibility that the blackout is caused due to the 4G network? I have also experienced blackouts on good Wifi environments. The problem was that the player Wifi connection to the router was established, but the internet connection was having problems. Result was instant blackout. Nothing on screen, player could not play the cached resources. This problem was achieved on Android devices.

Problem that is still on the top shelf. Looking for solutions.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:47:36 AM by Marks »

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines