October 14, 2019, 10:21:38 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Player memory usage, Collection component bugs?  (Read 4668 times)

Marks

• View Profile
Player memory usage, Collection component bugs?
« on: November 03, 2015, 11:22:46 PM »
Hello.

I have question about the Studio Pro, Player memory usage / crash and collection component. I searched the forums to find similar problem but did not find exactly the same problem.

In my project I have created five timelines that are using images, videos and image sliders/carousels from HTML-links. All these timelines have different screen size. Uploading all those external resources went well and they play just fine. To get HTML-links to play the way I needed, I have created scenes that are using HTML-components to display what ever the sliders are outputting. I have this type of scenes quite lot since some of the ads are coming from external platform that gives output as HTML-links.

I have added the collection component to my timeline. Timeline and the collection are playing 24 h. Inside this collection, I have listed images, videos and those HTML-scenes. Collection component is good since I can add Local Ads -properties to my collection items. Some of these items in my collection have specific dates to play.

When using collection component in these timelines and running it on my players, I have noticed high memory usage. I noticed that one of the players uses more than 1 GB of memory. This timeline has 17 different items and the total length is only 05:25. When the player is online and running, the memory usage rises slowly and when the limit comes up, the player crashes and reboots. I have set the reboot condition at 1 GB. Usually the players are using half of 1 GB memory or less. Sometimes when using the collection component on the timelines, the player skips the collection and does not play it. If I reload the player, it still does not play it.

One other thing about the collection component. I have experienced that when using the collection component and managing the items list, sometimes the collection will freeze the studio. If I close the studio, log in again and try to double click the collection, the same freeze occurs. If I try to navigate to another timeline or campaign, the studio windows won't respond at all or they will go black. I need to delete the collection, add it back and add all the items back to the list. The same problem occurs again at some point.

If I remove the collection component from the timelines and add all those images, videos and scenes separately, all seems to work fine. Memory usage is good and no player crashes. This way I will lose the Local Ads function and everything needs to be managed manually. I am also using advanced scheduler to run these timelines.

All PC:s have Windows 7 OS and are using the latest version of the player.

Hopefully there will be fix for these problems.
Thank you for your time.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Player memory usage, Collection component bugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 12:28:01 AM »
I have also faced the collection component problem. I am using 8" windows tablet, Intel core3735F series tablets , the PC stick also has the same config. Whenever i put collection component the player crashes.
Because of this i cant use the tablet as a kiosk and also very tough to manage using timelines.. Collection component is a great product .

Marks: What is your hardware specs.. I was under the impression that my configuration is the issue.

Sean : Please test your app with the windows sticks for the collection.

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:49:12 AM »
Hi. Thank you for your message.

Here are PC specs:

1st PC:
Dell Inc. OptiPlex 390
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Core Speed   1596.2 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed   16.0 x 99.8 MHz
Stock frequency   3100 MHz
Northbridge   Intel Sandy Bridge rev. 09
Southbridge   Intel H61 rev. B2
Memory Type   DDR3
Memory Size   4 GBytes
Channels   Single
AMD RADEON HD 6350
Memory size   512 MB

2nd PC:
NEXCOM NDiS 166
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Core Speed   798.1 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed   8.0 x 99.8 MHz
Stock frequency   2500 MHz
Southbridge   Intel QM67 rev. 05
Memory Type   DDR3
Memory Size   4 GBytes
Channels   Single
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Memory size   1556 MB

3rd PC:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. VM42
Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Core Speed   1396.2 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed   14.0 x 99.7 MHz
Stock frequency   1400 MHz
Northbridge   Intel Haswell-ULT rev. 0B
Southbridge   Intel H8x/P8x rev. C1
Memory Type   DDR3
Memory Size   4 GBytes
Channels   Single
Intel(R) HD Graphics
Memory size   1024 MB

4th PC:
Dell Inc. OptiPlex 390
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Core Speed   2593.8 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed   26.0 x 99.8 MHz
Stock frequency   3100 MHz
Southbridge   Intel H61 rev. B2
Memory Type   DDR3
Memory Size   4 GBytes
Channels   Single
AMD RADEON HD 6350
Memory size   512 MB

5th PC:
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2P
AMD Sempron X2 190
Core Speed   2510.6 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed   12.5 x 200.8 MHz
HT Link speed   2008.5 MHz
Stock frequency   2500 MHz
Northbridge   AMD 780G rev. 00
Southbridge   AMD SB700 rev. 00
Memory Type   DDR3
Memory Size   4 GBytes
Channels   Single
Memory Frequency   535.6 MHz
AMD 760G
Memory size   512 MB

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:29:27 AM by Marks »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »
I can open a bug for collection so we can investigate but if we find an issue (so far passed our test) a fix will go in 5.0 due in Jan.

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »
Hi Admin!
Ok, sounds good.

I have been testing different variations with the collection component. One version was that my timelines began with those HTML-scenes that I mentioned on first post. At the end of the timeline, I added collection component and listed there also few scenes, images and videos. When the timelines up and running for some hours, the same problem occurred eventually.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »
can you try removing the scenes inside the collection component.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:57:04 PM »
In the systems that gave me problem i just had few videos and images placed directly inside the collection component

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 05:04:04 AM »
I created new timeline that had all the same items and collection component. Inside the collection, i have only images (jpg) and videos (mp4). The player has been running for few hours and all looks good for now. Memory usage is good. Haven't noticed any load spikes.

I tried also to include scenes inside the collection. When I updated the player to load all items, the player did not display one or two items from the collection at first. After rebooting the player all items in the collection ran through the player.

After saving my work and logging back to my account, I noticed that the Studio started to freeze because I added the scenes to the collection. I could not open the collection and see what is inside. After I removed the collection and added new collection component without the scenes, all seems to be working fine again. No freezing or black screens on Studio tabs and windows.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:09:37 AM by Marks »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »
let me ask you... did you create a circular referemce?
in other words, did you by any chance added a scene to the timeline and in that scene you had a collection with a scene referencing itself?

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »
Most of the scenes only have one HTML-component and have a specific HTML-link that inputs ads from external source. Some of the scenes also have a static black background. Couple scenes have a HTML-component and a video (.mp4) in same scene stage.

I have added these scenes inside the collection component with other images (.jpg) and videos (.mp4).

PS.
Just wanted also to note that sometimes when saving my changes, one of the previously created, modified or active scene from the editor pops up to my screen on top of the save menu and buttons. If my scene is large it will cover most of the screen area, all the buttons will be covered and i need to just close the program and do it again.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:26:13 PM by Marks »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »
My next question was going to be, are you using HTML component as we have seen a leak that has to do with the browser.
can you confirm that if not using the HTML component all is fine?

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 01:52:33 AM »
Ok. In the scene editor, I changed the HTML component to the Browser component. When I made changes and modified my work, I did not have that scene window popping on my screen. Might be HTML-component that causes it. I'll get back to this if I bump into it with Browser component.

Just to note that some of the ads that are coming from external source are old flash based HTML, where two images are changing.
Other HTML ads in my scenes have new JavaScript in the HTML-source, where many images are changing. Like a image carousel.

Now, the timeline has 24 h collection. Inside the collection i have new scenes (with browser component), images and videos. I also added the Local ads/proof of play function.
Memory usage seems to be ok for now.

I noticed that the the player does not play videos and images from the collection:

1. scene - play
2. resource - skip
3. scene - play
4. scene - play
5. scene - play
6. scene - play
7. scene - play (this scene stays on screen and uses the time that the resources 8-15 would use)
8-15. resources - skip

The nw.exe (node-webkit) seems be loading itself quite many times in the background. I saw multiple exe:s being processed at the same time when the timeline was running.
When scenes change, the webkit reloads and the screen is white for a moment. This was also a thing that I wanted to avoid.

After couple hours of use.
Yes, the nw.exe loaded itself so many times to the background that whole system slowed down and the RAM usage was at 97-100%. It seems that when collection is playing and scenes are changing on screen, the player loads nw.exe every time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:22:58 AM by Marks »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 09:39:14 AM »
ok will open a PR to evaluate in 5.0
regards

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 01:46:30 AM »
Ok.
Hope that this will resolved for next update.

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 01:39:46 AM »
Hi.

Sometimes the player seems to be playing only a black screen, even it should be playing scheduled timeline. I have checked that all the dates and times are ok, so no schedules are wrong.
This black screen might happen after couple of hours when I have made an update. When in black screen, if I apply new update to my player, it seems to receive the update but it still is in black screen. I need to stop the player, quit and restart the application again.

Has anyone experienced similar error?
Any thoughts?

I have updated display drivers and also the flash player. Could it be video codec/software related?

Thanks again!

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines