July 09, 2020, 07:50:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: RSS Apostrophe  (Read 2320 times)

tlawrence

• View Profile
RSS Apostrophe
« on: October 12, 2015, 08:23:36 AM »
We're using the Rss News component with the following URL - espn_DOT_com/espn/rss/news and it appears that any headline with an apostrophe shows up as '  So for an example headline, "Sarkisian takes indefinite leave at USC's request" appears as "Sarkisian takes indefinite leave at USC's request"  Anything we can do to account for the apostrophe?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RSS Apostrophe
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
can you run the feed through a pre-processor? to change text? i.e. a web service that reads the data and massages it and you can point to it?

tlawrence

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »
Any recommendations on the pre-processor?  I thought your component would know how to handle RSS feeds and an apostrophe is part of that.  I'm also unsure how I would process that in a way that doesn't just ruin the correct grammar.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
there are some variations of RSS so it may be that this particular feed has it's characters use none encoded HTML.
a pre-processor will be like a small PHP script that runs on a web server and reads the feed, makes changes to it and makes it available to other subscribers.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines