December 14, 2019, 11:11:31 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: How to handle this scenario?  (Read 3698 times)

dsign

• View Profile
How to handle this scenario?
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
I have a specific campaign that I need help with. Here is the scenario:

Let’s say we have a timeline with a default version of a jpg image that is scheduled to play 24 hrs days and every day at all of our locations. Let’s assume we have 20 locations and 1 player at each location. However overtime for some of our locations we may need to make slight modification to the Jpg. Meaning some will run the default version, other will run a slightly modified version.
What is the best way to handle this? Meaning:

1)   Should we just have a unique campaign assigned to each location to allow for the flexibility to make changes to the jpg at each location?
2)   Should we just have the same campaign at all locations but create different output screens for each location?

I think both of the above would allow us the flexibility to change the jpg by location however it is rather cumbersome.  Is there a better way to handle this? Please keep in mind that out locations will grow over time.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to handle this scenario?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:24:37 PM »
Option #2 is recommended.

Or, create a Scene and put the image inside the Scene.
Continue by creating multiple campaigns. All campaigns will use the "Shared" scene.
Modify the image once in the Scene, and all timelines in all campaigns will receive the change.
Sea how it works? Create more scenes for changed images and shared among multiple campaigns.

Either Or.

Regards,

Sean - MediaSignage.com

dsign

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »
Like you said, I will probably create more output screens. Meaning for each unique location will be assigned
a unique output screen.

However whether I put the image in a scene or not shouldnt really matter right? because if multiple
players/displays are assigned a particular "campaign->output screen" and that output changes it will still take effect on all those screens to which its is assigned.

Also I would like to know if and when there is a change, do the player automatically download the changes next time they are started? Meaning our displays in field are turned off locally (manually) eveynight and then restarted in the morning. If I make a change to a particular "campaign->output" overnight. The next morning when the screens with that specifc configuration are turned on, the players on these screens would automatically download the changes, correct? or do I need to set some feature somewhere to make this happen?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:19:07 AM »
Changes will apply to Player only when:

1. You File > Save and checkbox to update stations is set t ON
2. You go to Stations and click on the Station and click on "Apply changes"

We will add more flexibility in future versions.
Regards,

Eddie - MediaSignage.com

dsign

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
Ok lets suppose I do my update in the middle of the night (using option 1) when all the locations are closed and all player machines are off. When the player machines are turned on in the morning (manually), will they automatically download the changes?

or in other words, when the players are restarted do they check the for updates on the server?
and if so do they download only new or updated content?
or do they just download all content everytime they restarted, whether content has changed or not?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:05:03 PM by dsign »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
When the machines are OFF they will ALWAYS do an update when they come online, regardless.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines