December 09, 2021, 11:47:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Using mediaDroidx to drive beamers  (Read 7298 times)

Eagerbob

• View Profile
Using mediaDroidx to drive beamers
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:50:45 PM »
Hello,

I am looking into an easy way to use a set of beamers to make projections on the walls of a business.
This will be simple slideshows and video that play continously in the evening hours.

The whole setup needs to be easy to operate for non-technical people.
If remote maintenance (adding new content) is possible and not too complicated that would be a plus.
So I was thinking to use your mediaDroidX for that. If I understand it correctly I make a campaign in Studio Lite, upload it to your server and from there send it to the players. Nothing else needed. Is that correct?

Some more questions:

* If I want to send different content to different players do I need different accounts?

• The mediaDroidx has a microSD slot and USB ports. Could it play files (JPG or movies) from an SD card or a USB stick or is it hardwired to only play through the internets?

• I tried making a campaign in Studio Lite. This was just some pictures that show 10 seconds.
in between the pictures there is a few seconds of background color. Is there a way to avoid this or better yet, fade the images into each other?

• the  process of making a slideshow (just some images that loop in a one-screen layout) with Studio Lite is a bit tedious and maybe not clear enough for non-technical people. Is there no easier way to add a slideshow?

• does the player auto-start? If I were to automatically switch the players off and on at certain hours, will they start to do their thing all by themselves or do they need manual intervention?

Cheers,

Bob

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Using mediaDroidx to drive beamers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
Hi.

To answer your questions...

* If I want to send different content to different players do I need different accounts?   - No, you can setup multiple campaigns in a single account and assign them to different stations accordingly.

• The mediaDroidx has a microSD slot and USB ports. Could it play files (JPG or movies) from an SD card or a USB stick or is it hardwired to only play through the internets? - No, our signage appllication software for the mediadroid is designed to check our cloud server for uploaded changes, it then caches it to the devices sdcard or flash drive.  It cannot make use of any usb external drives.

• I tried making a campaign in Studio Lite. This was just some pictures that show 10 seconds.
in between the pictures there is a few seconds of background color. Is there a way to avoid this or better yet, fade the images into each other? - how did you preview it, it is always best to test this using an actual hardware player instead of making use of the web preview, you can also login to live support : http://chat.digitalsignage.com so they can check your campaign configurations.

• the  process of making a slideshow (just some images that loop in a one-screen layout) with Studio Lite is a bit tedious and maybe not clear enough for non-technical people. Is there no easier way to add a slideshow? - Studio lite as the name suggest is already the simplified version of the software.  If you are concerned with end users uploading images and videos, you might want to consider upgrading to the enterprise version and then using the pro version, with the pro version your end users can just upload their videos and images to a DROPBOX account or Google Drive account and the software will just pull those and display it on their campaign ( given the proper configuration on your end of course)

• does the player auto-start? If I were to automatically switch the players off and on at certain hours, will they start to do their thing all by themselves or do they need manual intervention?
Yes, we have a watchdog application that makes sure the application starts up on device bootup.

Regards.

Eagerbob

• View Profile
Re: Using mediaDroidx to drive beamers
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:39:01 AM »
Ok, thanks for your answers.

- how did you preview it, it is always best to test this using an actual hardware player instead of making use of the web preview

I used the web preview, that may explain the issue

consider upgrading to the enterprise version and then using the pro version, with the pro version your end users can just upload their videos and images to a DROPBOX account or Google Drive

Sounds good, but $99,- a month for the enterprise thing is too much for this purpose.

Apart from the usability thing it still seems a neat and inexpensive solution.
I'll show it to the client and we'll see what they think of it.

Thanks again

Bob

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines