September 27, 2020, 10:11:43 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Image resolution  (Read 3750 times)

ninja1011

• View Profile
Image resolution
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:42:42 PM »
Hello. I havent really had a problem with this before but a few of my images are getting squeezed, i guess to fit the resolution of my output.
For example, my source image is 2187 x 3276. When i put it into a campaign that has 1920 x 1080, the image looks stretched, making the people in the image look short and stocky. Even with the 2560 x 1440 output, the image looks the same. I have tried altering the source resolution but the image remains the same once it goes up on my displays.
I know nothing about how resolution affects images by the way, is there a correct resolution to use for this program? Will I be able to alter the image resolution or do I have to take new pictures?
Thanks in advance~

Constantin

• View Profile
Re: Image resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 01:11:54 AM »
it will be nice to see a custom resolution to introduce....

For example i have some points with ultra-wide screens and digitalsignage don't have the option to create a campaign with that resolution. (in studiolite)

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »
Hello. I havent really had a problem with this before but a few of my images are getting squeezed, i guess to fit the resolution of my output.
For example, my source image is 2187 x 3276. When i put it into a campaign that has 1920 x 1080, the image looks stretched, making the people in the image look short and stocky. Even with the 2560 x 1440 output, the image looks the same. I have tried altering the source resolution but the image remains the same once it goes up on my displays.
I know nothing about how resolution affects images by the way, is there a correct resolution to use for this program? Will I be able to alter the image resolution or do I have to take new pictures?
Thanks in advance~

Resolution works in a few ways.
  • First you have the screen resolution which is what you have set on your actual screen. The 3 most typical are 1920x1080, 1280x720 and 1366x768.
  • Second you have the resolution of the screen/zone size. This is your settings in Screen Types and their viewers you have setup.
  • Third you have the resolution your scenes should you have some made up.
  • And fourth you have the resolution of your resource (image)

To have the clearest image on your screen, you should have all set to the same resolution. So start with a simple project to see what I mean. If your screen/monitor is set at a native res of 1920x1080, then lets create your image in a photo editing program such as Photoshop or Gimp. Assuming Photoshop for this. Start with a new project and set it up as 1920 x 1080 with a resolution of either 72 or 96. I usually use 96. Now select OK. Now open up your image you want and select all and copy it. Go to your new project window and Paste it to the stage. yes, it's going to be big and not fit into the box. We need to transform it to a new size.  Ctrl-T on Windows or CMD-T on Mac. Now resize it to fit into your box. Hold SHIFT while dragging a corner to keep its aspect ratio. If you hold SHIFT and ALT at the same time it will also keep its aspect ratio all the while adjusting towards the center instead of a corner. Do what ever you need to do so that it looks great in teh box on the stage. Now SAVE FOR WEB as a PNG and use that file to upload to your resources in studio.

OK now make sure for this, you will only have this new image directly on a new/clean timeline that has 1 channel and the output has the screen template of SD1 for a 1920x1080 screen.  SD1 is only one viewer.

Now make sure your Monitor is also setup as 1080 for its resolution. If it cant use 1080, then use what it can such as 720 and adjust the settings above for Photoshop and Studio to match those. I am assuming that you normally use 1080 based on what you mentioned in your post. I hope this helps.

it will be nice to see a custom resolution to introduce....

For example i have some points with ultra-wide screens and digitalsignage don't have the option to create a campaign with that resolution. (in studiolite)

You can build what ever resolution you want in Studiolite as long as you are hosting it yourself. Just edit the ScreenTemplate.js under _libs.

Joshuasak

• View Profile
Image resolution
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »
Can anyone provide a suggestion on the best image size for full screen images and resolution, to maximize image quality while keeping the screen saver to a reasonable size? Also, is there a best image format?

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 03:52:27 PM »
Well, best size would be what ever your screen size is. Just match it. You could also build a swf for your slideshow and have them as vector graphics allowing it to scale if you have different screens. Photos cannot do this.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines