October 17, 2018, 08:15:22 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Content download in background  (Read 4845 times)

reece_screencorp

• View Profile
Content download in background
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »
Hi Dev team,

Is MediaSignage likely to adopt the approach of others and download content in the background instead of using the splash screen / loading bars?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Content download in background
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:33:59 PM »
we do download content in the background but only as part of a playing campaign...

reece_screencorp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »
Apologies I meant when content isn't available instead of the black screen with loading bar it should skip (download in the background) then return on the next round

mmartinho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »
It's a useful feature, when updating a campaign or a timeline, keep playing the contents in chache, download the new content in background and when its done, start playing that content, without splash screen if possible. I have worked with Scala and Broadsign, these two make all updates in background, its one of the key features of these two.

blackfox123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
second this, also to start the global channel off at 00:00 - my HTML app still loads later when on the global channel, not at the start

erichansen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »
Bump. Any news on this? Background downloading would make a big difference to us. Some locations have terrible internet connections and we end up having skipping ads and errors all the time at these locations. Being able to download the ad without trying to play it first would solve this issue.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
we do download content in the background.
regards

erichansen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
How can you say that it downloads in the background when you clearly see the loading bar every time that it is supposed to play but hasn't fully downloaded yet? I really don't think my definition of downloading in the background is what you are thinking it's doing... I'd prefer all the files to download regardless if they are scheduled to play at that time but if they exist in the timeline. As it is now they don't start downloading until they are assigned to play. Am I missing something?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
yes correct we only download scheduled content and not the entire resource list.

Gert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 02:42:05 AM »
It's a misunderstanding i guess.
What we mean: when changing something in the campaign (adding/removing/changed) you have to push these changes by restarting the app.
So everytime you get this splash screen.
How can we prevent this splash screen after changing the campagne?
Other manufactures download the changes in the background and smoothly change the presentation on the screen without restarting (and splash screen) the signage app

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 07:28:09 AM »
As an enterprise user, the Splash screen will only show for a split second compared to a free user where it shows for 2-3 seconds.
but the splash screen can be avoided all together if you save without starting campaign, and you can set a nightly update of players to get your updates at a set time. I guess we could improve it further with an option to: push updates now and no splash, seems minor feature but I can add to the to-do list.

regards

gchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 10:22:10 AM »
In some cases, it is desirable to have the campaign restart and the have the splash screen appear to confirm that.  In other cases, it is not desirable to have the campaign restart with a splash screen such as a menu board, street sign, or a high traffic area where a disruption in the display could impact the customer experience.  Components such as google sheets is great as you can update data in the campaign without having to restart the campaign and it happens seamlessly in the background.  Digital Signage offers a great product for the price but I would say that this type of functionality would be much more than just a minor feature update and I would love to see it...

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »
noted, tx!

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
Here's a great example of what we're talking about...

Say that we want to do a special Happy New Year video that will play right at the stroke of midnight.  Since the video has never played on a scheduled timeline before, what will happen at midnight is that the you will see a "loading bar" bar instead of "Happy New Year."  Loading bar will continue to show until the whole video is downloaded. THAT is a problem that necessitates that we look for a workaround.

erichansen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 09:32:17 AM »
Thanks IPNDDS - That is a good real world example of what we are trying to talk about.

I've also run across issues with slow connections where the video starts downloading at it's spot in the playlist but doesn't finish before the next resource is scheduled to play. Sometimes it will start downloading where it left off but other times I've had it stop trying to re-download and the resource gets cut short and just repeats the downloaded but incomplete file.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines