June 26, 2019, 03:26:12 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Watchdog not reporting back correctly  (Read 10602 times)

StarVue

• View Profile
Re: Watchdog not reporting back correctly
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
I also have the problems above in regards to the Watchdog running, then upon reboot sometime it runs...sometimes it does not.
I have tried all the "FIXES" as suggested above and from Online Chat.

90% of my Signage Players are standard Black-Boxes from MediaSignage.
Watchdog doesn't' seem to be 100% stable.

Anyone else still having this issue as well>>??
   -StarVue

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 01:04:39 PM »
Is it not reporting back? or is it not working?
can you still for example do screen capture on a Station that does not report properly via controller supposedly not running?
Is it windows only? Android?

regards

StarVue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »
It's shown as a green outline, and it WILL do a screen capture.
These are all Win7 (Embedded) systems with the bad watchdog behavior.

My Androids are all functioning OK in this manner.

The issue isn't that it's reporting back wrong, it's not functioning properly when haloed.
When any of my devices are "HALOED" (Green Circle) those devices will not "REBOOT" as scheduled in the Station-Properties under "Reboot Conditions".
All of the Solid Green Circle devices reboot normally every day as scheduled...Green haloed Circles do not.
In fact those devices will show that they have been ON for days/weeks without a reboot.
If I manually reboot them, some come up as HALOS, some SOLID...but it's random with the same device.
The only think I CAN say is that when I used the "AIR" version of the Signage Player, this was never an issue.
Switching to EXE version, this issue is persistently random....but definitely existent.

Some of these devices have been rebuilt/reinstalled many times to try to alleviate the issue to no avail.
I've gone to the extent of reinstalling the OS on many of these, and starting from scratch, but the issue remains.

>>>To me - the EXE version of the watchdog is not as stable as the AIR version.
The AIR version was VERY persistent, it would FORCE load itself even if you closed the application manually.
The EXE version does not perform this way & in my opinion is NOT a persistent application.

I'll do/test what you want me to...but I've really done everything I can think would cause this; outside of a CODING error within watchdog.
Please advise,
      -StarVue

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
are you seeing the issue only in Windows embedded (not let's say in full version of Windows, if you have any...)?
also does it happen in all your windows or some? I guess I am trying to find a pattern as this issue has not been reported (just this one thread)

I would like our support team to try and repreduce this in the lab.
how often does a player need to run before the WD disconnets from it (hallow)
regards
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:56:39 PM by admin »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 07:42:35 PM »

It happens mostly when the watchdog restarts the computer more then once in 5 minutes. our watchdog is set on 2 minutes

Trying to understand your configuration, so we can replicate it in the lab.. how are you setting the watchdog up for 2 mins?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »
It's shown as a green outline, and it WILL do a screen capture.
These are all Win7 (Embedded) systems with the bad watchdog behavior.

My Androids are all functioning OK in this manner.

The issue isn't that it's reporting back wrong, it's not functioning properly when haloed.
When any of my devices are "HALOED" (Green Circle) those devices will not "REBOOT" as scheduled in the Station-Properties under "Reboot Conditions".
All of the Solid Green Circle devices reboot normally every day as scheduled...Green haloed Circles do not.
In fact those devices will show that they have been ON for days/weeks without a reboot.
If I manually reboot them, some come up as HALOS, some SOLID...but it's random with the same device.
The only think I CAN say is that when I used the "AIR" version of the Signage Player, this was never an issue.
Switching to EXE version, this issue is persistently random....but definitely existent.

Some of these devices have been rebuilt/reinstalled many times to try to alleviate the issue to no avail.
I've gone to the extent of reinstalling the OS on many of these, and starting from scratch, but the issue remains.

>>>To me - the EXE version of the watchdog is not as stable as the AIR version.
The AIR version was VERY persistent, it would FORCE load itself even if you closed the application manually.
The EXE version does not perform this way & in my opinion is NOT a persistent application.

I'll do/test what you want me to...but I've really done everything I can think would cause this; outside of a CODING error within watchdog.
Please advise,
      -StarVue

Do you by chance have a firewall or antivirus software installed on the players  or net work that could possibly be blocking the watchdog from reporting back to our servers correctly?

StarVue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »
are you seeing the issue only in Windows embedded (not let's say in full version of Windows, if you have any...)?
also does it happen in all your windows or some? I guess I am trying to find a pattern as this issue has not been reported (just this one thread)

I would like our support team to try and repreduce this in the lab.
how often does a player need to run before the WD disconnets from it (hallow)
regards
I don't have any "FULL" version of Windows running (Sorry), I'm using the "Embedded Win7 Distribution from you.
It will happen to all of them, but at random intervals (I have around 40 player running).
I can faithfully say it runs for days as solid GREEN....then out of nowhere HALO....then I see it runs for DAYS without is scheduled reboot (Because the Watchdog is not running properly when Haloed)

Do you by chance have a firewall or antivirus software installed on the players  or net work that could possibly be blocking the watchdog from reporting back to our servers correctly?

No Firewall or Antivirus, and nothing running on any of the networks.

IF YOU WANT - I would be happy to give you access to one of my players remotely to control/watch it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:42:05 PM by StarVue »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
I opened a PR so we can re-visit this as soon as next release is out...
tx for the updates...

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 09:20:30 AM »
Can you try setting up a cellphone hotspot and connect one of your players there. 

KRob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »
I run players for two different organizations, on two different networks and still have the same problems as the gentleman above.  I've tried all the fixes listed here but still no solution.

I do find that the issue is much better when I use scheduler and not the sequencer, which I find odd...

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines