August 23, 2019, 07:43:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Watchdog not reporting back correctly  (Read 10903 times)

Jeda

• View Profile
Watchdog not reporting back correctly
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »
Over half of my players are not reporting back correctly (all players are windows 7, across 3 separate business campaigns).  The players are set to reboot everyday, but even that doesn't fix the watchdog issue.  I've getting open green circles on those players, pings are occurring every minute, the snapshot still works, I can't reboot the signage player software from the studio, and rebooting the player works but has issues.  If I click reboot, the connection will go in the red, status will report "Reboot Station…", the player will freeze and can take up to ten minutes before the player will actually reboot.

If the watchdog crashes, I get an error message on screen, and nothing will happen until someone manually closes the box and restarts the player or software.

Its complete random if or when the watchdog will work correctly.  I also have notified that timeline updates aren't alway occurring until I do a manual reboot of the player.  I'm assuming this is a watchdog related issue as well.

any help at all getting this to run into a more stable environment would be really helpful.

WaterOx

• View Profile
Re: Watchdog not reporting back correctly
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:50:52 AM »
Same experience here..
Win7 and Win8
App version 4.32.37 / Air 3.6.0.6090
Restart can manage to get Watchdog running but very unstable
- have been so for a period and I'm unable to find reason/pattern.

Watchdog not running but full green circle in webinterface
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:38:28 AM by WaterOx »

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:31:47 AM »
Noticing the same problem across several stations.
Win 7 Home 32 and 64 bit
Player v. 4.32.37

WaterOx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:09:26 AM »
Did a clean Win install on 2 Mediaboxe.. all seems normal again.

DaveMac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »
I have the exact same symptoms with my two MediaBoxes running Windows 7. I was not around when they were purchased, so I don't have any disks/software/windows that they may (or may not) have comeh with.  So I don't have a copy of Windows 7 to reinstall fresh, but also I notice that there are some restrictions in place and settings

The watchdog usually only stays running for a day or so (sometimes less), and I think it becomes disabled anytime I do a save and restart from the web interface.

Support chat has  told me to empty the cache and re-login, but that doesn't work. I need to do another chat, but if someone has figured this out, please let me know.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 12:06:23 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 05:05:55 AM »
I have the exact same symptoms with my two MediaBoxes running Windows 7. I was not around when they were purchased, so I don't have any disks/software/windows that they may (or may not) have comeh with.  So I don't have a copy of Windows 7 to reinstall fresh, but also I notice that there are some restrictions in place and settings

The watchdog usually only stays running for a day or so (sometimes less), and I think it becomes disabled anytime I do a save and restart from the web interface.

Support chat has  told me to empty the cache and re-login, but that doesn't work. I need to do another chat, but if someone has figured this out, please let me know.

Hi Dave, please also check whats on your Mediabox's Windows startup folder. The should only be one instance of autostartsignage.bat  and nothing that refers to the Signage Controller.

DaveMac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 01:51:12 PM »
I have confirmed that there is only the one batch file and UAC is turned off. I have the players set to restart the station each night at midnight.

I tried clearing the cache, and well as re-installing the latest version of SignagePlayer.

Right now, the players seem to keep the watchdog on until I do a "save and restart stations".  What happens if I just Save... do they update at their polling interval. (I have that set to 120 seconds).

Is this a bug or is there anything else that I can do?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
no bug reported, please check with live chat so they can remote login to your player PC and help figure this out.
it must be related to something in the setting of the Windows PC.

DaveMac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
I have confirmed that there is only the one batch file and UAC is turned off. I have the players set to restart the station each night at midnight.

I tried clearing the cache, and well as re-installing the latest version of SignagePlayer.

Right now, the players seem to keep the watchdog on until I do a "save and restart stations".  What happens if I just Save... do they update at their polling interval. (I have that set to 120 seconds).

Is this a bug or is there anything else that I can do?

Thanks to support chat I think it's fixed. I uninstalled and removed registry settings and cache.  I think the trick was rebooting before re-installation of SignagePlayer.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
tx for reporting back...

DaveMac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »
And.... of course the day after the watchdog is now off. Also, I tried the same steps on the other identical MediaBox and the watchdog never started after re-installation. 

During troubleshooting, I checked the Windows version and although the web portal reports Windows 7, window System page just says Windows Embedded.

Still frustrated... it it something in the StudioPlayer that's not compatible with older systems or can I somehow reformat y MediaBoxes and start fresh?

FoxBab

• View Profile
Watchdog not reporting back correctly
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 06:39:14 AM »
Hi

We are running on our machines the watch dog feature and also the auto-on.
all of our fitpc2 were purchased with the auto on feature.

It seems that sometimes when the watch-dog timer reboots the computer, the computer will simply shutdown and will stay like that untill unplugging the power and putting it back.

It happens mostly when the watchdog restarts the computer more then once in 5 minutes. our watchdog is set on 2 minutes

this happens occasionally, on multiple computers.

can you suggest a solution?

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
I've done everything recommended. UAC is turned off and autoStartsignage.bat is in present in the Startup folder with no other signage controller there. I'm still getting a 'Not running' status for the Watchdog. Experiencing this on all systems running the exe version.

Anyone else?

Windows 7 Home
SignagePlayer v.4.34.35 

KRob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
Have had this same problem off and on.  Have no solution as of yet.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines