December 14, 2019, 11:38:27 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: VLC extApp controller not loaded  (Read 4210 times)

matt.gorski

• View Profile
VLC extApp controller not loaded
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »
I have been trying in vain to get VLC to stream an external http stream but all I get is a "controller not loaded!" message and nothing happens when previewing.  I know for a fact that I have the program directory/location correct because i can launch and play my http stream through Windows command line, CMD.

ExtApp: custom

App Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

command line: hxxp://mylivestream.ts

JMH

• View Profile
Re: VLC extApp controller not loaded
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:53:50 AM »
On what player are you using this?

Externall app capture only works on Windows, not on Android. The error you get, is caused because the Signage Controller is not running. Do you use the .exe player or the Adobe Air version? If you use the Adobe Air version, you have to put the signage controller (you can find this in the install folder  I believe) in autorun in Windows. Without the signage controller, you cannot use the external app function. In the .exe version the Signage Controller is baked in I believe. With the Adobe Air version, it is a seperate application.

matt.gorski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:09:45 AM »
Thank you JMH!  You saved me some headaches!  I installed the exe player and all is well in preview now.

On to my next issue.  How do I remove the black border around my screen division? I figured out how to launch vlc with no window and no cmd line with:

-I dummy-quiet --no-video-deco

But I still see a ugly one inch border around vlc.  When I launch vlc through windows cmd line I see no border.  Could you guide me on how to remove or resize this border?

Thanks a million!!!

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:10:59 AM »
I'm glad to hear, you're welcome.

About your next issue I'm not sure what's the cause. Because you don't see a border when you launch vlc through windows cmd line I think the problem is to seek in the settings of the MS software.
Do you use the VLC player in full-screen without any components aside?
If so, be sure that the output resolution of the player, matches the output set in the software. Aswell as the screen division resolution.
If for example the screen division resolution is smaller than your output resolution I can imagine you to get a black border of some kind.

What happens if you replace the external app component for let's say a PNG of 1 solid colour, without changing any of your settings? Do you also have a black border around the PNG, or does the border disappear? If the border disappears, it must have to be something with the external app component settings.

matt.gorski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »
You got it my friend!  I changed my source to a larger format ie from 576x480  4:3 to 720/1080 and also forced vlc to output --aspect-ratio=16:9 and now there is no border :)

Much appreciation for the great support!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45:29 AM »
tx guys for the feedback...

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »
You're welcome. Good to hear it's fixed  :D

Carbonate design by Bloc