November 18, 2019, 06:29:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Extreme data usage, mostly SOLVED  (Read 6911 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme data usage
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
Yeah definitely not something being downloaded from us, must be something in your players maybe windows update? or antivirus updates?
See screen cap below. This is from your campaign running in your account.
Player was registered @ 3pm, it downloaded 23.26mb of data
Look at the data 4pm onwards. Only 0.09mb of data downloaded from the web.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:55:17 PM by admin »

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 12:37:40 AM »
PM sent. What program did you use for monitoring bandwith? With the latest test using https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ , i found about 37-50 Megabytes pr hour used. I have some other campaigns that uses much more. I will investigate further.

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 12:40:12 AM »
Please do not post screenshots that can identify me or my customers. Thank you.

This is great news. So i now have confirmation that the signage player should not use so much bandwidth. It seems like it it affected by witch campaign i am using, so maybe i have some rss or other content that is using this bandwidth.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:44:10 AM by KingPro »

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 05:10:17 AM »
Nice support!  ;D  I think admin is right and you should look to something else on your player and not in the campain, since admin used your campain, but doesn't have the issue.
Do you perhaps have some VPN or VNC software running? This might also cause use of bandwith.
Also, i'm wondering what happens when you disable internet connection at all? Maybe this could lead you to the cause.

I also found this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43713/how-to-monitor-the-bandwidth-consumption-of-individual-applications/
Follow the link for an explanation how to monitor the bandwith consumption of individual applications.

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
I made a copy of a campign without RSS, and the data usage went down to under a megabyte per hour. I agree, the support on the forum has been very good.

However i got conflicting information from live support, that made me search too far and wider than i had to. I understand that it is impossible to know every aspect of a product, but i am still not happy about the help i got from live support. When i had a data usage up to 6 Gigabyte per day, it did not help me when i was told "its normal, and just how it works." Another thing i was told, was that the campaigns where not cashed, that did not help at all. A little more information would helped me a lot. Instead i got misinformation.

I still have a lot of investigation left, because there was still a lot of data usage on test campaigns with only 2 jpg`s, but that could be other things like updates and such. I am relieved to know that it is possible to get data usage down again. I will update with results.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:16:05 AM by KingPro »

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme data usage, mostly SOLVED
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »
Sometimes the user forums are more powerful because the user experience on the field with different set of users cant be recreated in the support center.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines