November 17, 2019, 12:30:31 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Extreme data usage, mostly SOLVED  (Read 6909 times)

KingPro

• View Profile
Extreme data usage, mostly SOLVED
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
I have been experiencing extreme data usage. I have even set up a timeline with only two JPG`s for testing . Its still using several Gigabytes of data. Its like downloading huge amounts of torrents, and its hogging bandwith. Several computers used between 300mb to 6Gb per day.

I am having a lot of trouble explaining this to support, and they seem reluctant to believe me, test, understand or do anything about it. I was told in the end that they would look in to it, but after beeing told that "its just how it works" i dont have any faith in that.

Does anybody else experience this? It is possible to test with Shaplus Bandwidth meter.https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3cprye75g34rp3/ShaPlus%20Bandwidth%20Meter-Setup.exe?dl=0 .  In comparison an old version of signage player used 2 Mb of data in a few minutes, while a new version was using 200Mb. I have some computers on 3g, so this is costing me a lot of money.

EDIT: It seems that the data usage was related to some RSS feeds, but the investigation is not completely over. I will report findings.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:13:52 AM by KingPro »

JMH

• View Profile
Re: Extreme data usage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 02:38:22 AM »
They say everything is cached on the device, so the jpg should be downloaded only once. In my opinion this really is something MS should look into, because it is a major flaw of the system and will affect every user (with or without using 3g). It is important that current features work flawlessly (without 'workarounds') before adding new features to the product. This product is awesome and the possibilities are huge. But i'm getting more and more concerned about all the flaws I read about on the forum.

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:04:30 AM »
Agreed. Current features should be stable and flawless before adding in additional features. We experienced years of solid stability with this product, but in the past 6-12 months, the number of errors and issues has escalated dramatically. New problems are now coming up every week. Our time used to be focused entirely on developing content, and now it's mainly focused on dealing with support issues for our clients.

Really love the potential of this product as well and want to stick with it, but I'm very concerned about the direction it's heading.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 09:22:37 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.

JMH, when you say "you are concerned with issues posted on the forum", let me explain that with a system that is so diversified and very fragmented such as DigitalSignage.com, that's being used by thousands of NEW customers a month (that's right thousands of brand new accounts per every single month), that all are using different hardware, with different user experience levels, different content and various player loads, you are bound to have many issues posted on the forum.

My Mac Mini froze twice last week, and that's on a very closed, controlled environment (HW and SW made by same company)...

Keep in mind you only are seeing a small fraction of the user base when reading the forums.
The vast majority of users whom are enjoining a bug free system will not post here....

Having said that, I would agree that no system (neither our signage software) is bug free and it will never be bug free.

However we made a conscious decision to push all the highly requested features to our customer base in 2014.

In 2015 we are focusing on greater support for larger number of devices (iOS, Android and Windows ARM and x86 as well as TV screens) and will put a major effort to clean out any potential bug fixes that we can track and squash!

Also, please keep in mind the forum is first and for most, user to user support. If you want quality, professional and free support from MediaSignage, please visit live chat. Of course we also read the forums and will continue to do so so we can monitor for any issues as it is our primary goal to make sure DigitalSignage.com stays the world's most popular and FREE Digital Signage platform,

regards,

Sean.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:23:47 AM »
As for traffic usage, MRSS currently does not get cached (yes another feature need to add :) ) so I would bet that's the reason for the traffic usage...

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
As for traffic usage, MRSS currently does not get cached (yes another feature need to add :) ) so I would bet that's the reason for the traffic usage...

When was this removed(version nr?)? Or was it always so? And live support did not know about this. Is it possible to use an older version that doesent stream files.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:22:09 AM by KingPro »

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
Thanks for the response, Admin.

I hear what you are saying, but I feel there are several forum users who use the product on a mass scale for their networks (such as us) and therefore are very attentive to the forum. The more one uses the product, the more issues one encounters, more requests, more ideas to make it better. etc. So I would argue that while the forum might represent a "small fraction of the user base", several of those users are your most dedicated customers with the most experience with your product. Therefore there is some truth to what JMH is saying.

Nobody realistically expects a perfect system that is flawless of any bugs. But there are a lot of bugs coming up with things that used to work very well, when they should be confined more to the new features.

Also, I've found the forum to be more reliable than Live Chat many times. While the response can take longer, I find Admin responses are more helpful than Live Chat. That's just me.

Looking forward to a more stable platform in 2015.

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
Sean, I agree that not every software can be totally bug free. Ofcourse there will be problems because of the wide variety of devices used (being able to do so is a huge plus for this software, really!). But, the last months I really have the feeling that new features are introduced before they are ready for stable, professional use. I didn't mean to offend in any way and think MS is doing a great job (obviously, that's why I use your software). I just think it would be good when current features are stable before adding new features. The innovative part of MS is awesome (IoT, etc.), but sometimes I just wish there would be something like an opt-in for new features, so a stable setup will stay reliable.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:33:52 AM by JMH »

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
When certain pc`s in my network uses 6 Gb(!) of data pr day, and i have several in one location, i see it as a big design error. I have also found that 1080P screens uses much more data than 720p screens. This is not good, when we are building a big network. Cashing should be a top priority. As for discusion of general bugs, you guys should make another tread, so that we can keep on topic. 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »
please check if you are using MRSS so we can confirm if this is the root cause...

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
We are using rss for newsfeed, but not with pictures. And for several years we have never seen so much data beeing used, even in a month total. But in test with only two pictures(jpg), and nothing else, it still uses Gigabytes(!) of data per day.

We have also confirmed that data usage depends heavily on resolution, at least with scenes with collections component. A jpg via scenes and collection component with 1280x720 will use less data than the same scene with collection with 1920x1080 resolution.

A strange thing is that if there is no internet connection, the campaign will play just fine. So obviously there is some cashing of data going on. Why then does it use so much data? The whole campaign we use, takes only 7-12 minutes. Why then download the data again and again, if it already is on the hard drive?

Another "bug" that has always been in signageplayer for several years, is that a jpg will sometimes only be partially dowloaded. it will appear that maybe half of the picture is downloaded, and the rest of the picture is grey. This happens only sometimes, on machines with poor/slow internet. It will not go away until we press the clear cashing button, and everything is downloaded again.

That makes me wonder what is really downloading, it seems to me that it is not any jpg`s or swf`s. And why even have cashing if the signageplayer is streaming the content. If we talked about usage of some rss files, that would be a non issue. But several gigabytes of data downloaded per day, running only 2 jpg`s seems like really bad programming, and i cannot understand why anyone would do that. Why hog so much unnecessary bandwith?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:28:21 AM by KingPro »

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »

When was this removed(version nr?)? Or was it always so? And live support did not know about this. Is it possible to use an older version that doesent stream files.

I misread this earlier, i did not understand what you meant with MRSS. I do not use Media RSS, if that is rss with pictures/media, only regular text rss. So you are telling me that signage player should cashe the JPG and SWF, because then i se no reason for this extreme data usage.

I have already explained to support that my systems uses several gigabytes with data with only two jpg`s. They could see no problem with that, and would not help me further, or log on my computers with teamviewer. I was told "its just the way it works". Can you confirm that this is not normal data usage and that files should be cashed?

I will of course erase all RSS in my system just to test, if that would solve this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:41:01 AM by KingPro »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »
Can you test this,  load the latest player... and then load the task manager while the player is running and then end process the following :

cmd.exe
cmd*32.exe
 Watchdogdesktop.exe

and then let the player run and monitor the bandwidth.  See if there is any difference. This will basically disable the watchdog and the only thing that will be running is the signage player app.

Let us know if there is a difference

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
I found a player with just some jpg`s , not in scene/collection. Task mangager and end process watchdog. No difference. Still counting megabytes every second.

This was a windows 8 machine. I could not find cmd.exe and cmd*32.exe.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:28:12 PM by KingPro »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
can you give us the following

a temp username:
campaign name:

So we can run tests here on the lab.
Here is a screen shot of a player we have in the lab running a campaign with some images and video. usage is less than 1mb an hour, went even lower when we closed teamviewer and a chrome browser we left open by mistake.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:17:21 PM by admin »

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines