May 28, 2020, 01:05:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Power loss and Recovery  (Read 5224 times)

James

• View Profile
Power loss and Recovery
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:48:30 PM »
I've been doing some testing for fault tolerance. I think we all agree we need the solution to return gracefully to the state it was in before the power loss. I am glad to see that for the most part this is the case.

I did find that using the the new external application, there may still be some issues.

I set up an external application (VirtualVCR) in a screen division along with two other screen divsions with only an image (so as to determine the cause).

I found that on a power loss (pulled the plug), and regaining power, all screen divisions return except the external application, VirtualVCR in my case. I got a black box with Air in the upper left corner.

After a time, SignageStudio again showed a Green circle for that station, so I guess it queries on some schedule.

I found I needed to select the station with SingageStudio and click the "update SignagePlayer with new changes" button. Upon update, the video appeared as before.

Of coursed, if I was not at the location, I would not have known that the video was not playing.

James

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Power loss and Recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »
It may be a timing issue... try and offset the start time of the ext app on the timeline within 10 seconds of start time.
In other words, let the ext application component start 10 seconds after everything else... let me know if it fixed your issue.

Eric.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »
Eric,

I have tried your suggestion and have not been able to get the virtualVCR external application to work on bootup. by the way, I tried a save (upload) with restart stations with changes. That does not work.

In the STATIONS section, if I select the station and select Update Station with Changes then the extended application does start to work. But with the green dot, there was no indication that the extended application was not working.

The only other thing that works is to stop and restart the SignagePlayer on the computer running it. This location is the only place to see that it was not working as expected.

While I appreciate the suggestion to add a delay, that would not be a good solution, even if that worked. I am trying to develop a campaign for sports bars. We don't want the TV's to stop showing the game as the timeline loops because we had to put in a delay for 10 seconds.

While I really like a beer now and then, I don't want to have to go to all the sports bars to see if the monitors are showing the game in the screen division and have to stop and start the SignagePlayer to watch the game.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:29:48 AM »
Hi James,
Since the Exp App will be the only component on that channel, the 10 seconds delay will ONLY have an effect on the 1st time you run the presentation. On the 2nd loop the delay will not be evident.

Please try first, lets see if it works for you,

Eric.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 07:34:49 AM »
It does not work.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:29 AM »
We need to talk. Call us so we can troubleshoot this....

Eddie.

ReggaeLady

• View Profile
Re: Virtual VCR
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »
Hi James,
I have been playing with Virtual VCR and got cable to run properly. Only thing is that a full restart of the player is needed in case of any disruption.
The setup is crucial with saving the settings...I notice that every time i save I have to open the profile.vcr file and change 0-1 for the video to show in the particular zone.

I'm pretty scared tho as I sometimes get the video popping up on top of my ad in another zone.
Still playing with it and have to keep watching the systems.

SM

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:33:49 AM »
Reggae;

Do you get the audio running in virtual VCR?

For example in a zone i have 5 minutes TV channel running and then shift to my own ad and then once again shift to TV channel do u have the TV audio muting when u are running the ad?

Anoop

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines