January 22, 2022, 04:06:06 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Signage Player on Windows 7 Enterprise Locks at Night  (Read 6630 times)

pjamme

• View Profile
Signage Player on Windows 7 Enterprise Locks at Night
« on: August 21, 2014, 05:06:01 AM »
I am sure I have overlooked something simple.  I am testing Signage player on a Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit computer with 8GB RAM and a nVidia GT550 TI video card (drivers only).  Currently displaying on an HP 22" monitor in my office. It runs fine all day, but when I come in the morning, it is asking for a password and stopped.  It was in the domain and we do have a policy to lock after 15 minutes of inactivity.  So I re-imaged the machine and left it on WORKGROUP.
I have been through the Power settings numerous time making sure everything is set to Never.
I have a TV mounted in the lobby and an Aver media card on the way so I need to resolve this issue soon.  Should I remove the password on the Local Admin account?  There is nothing on the computer but the antivirus, Air and Signage Player so nothing to be compromised.
Any ideas welcome and will be tried.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Signage Player on Windows 7 Enterprise Locks at Night
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:33:06 AM »
Have you tried this as well?

control panel > Appearance and Personalization > chnage screen saver > change power settings
just switch everything to never and save changes.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:34:17 AM »
Check in the station settings the system must be rebooting at 00.00 Hrs, remove that.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »
That could be a possibility for him, but what concerns me is that it is asking for the password upon trying to get back to the desktop. Even with a reboot, it should still go to the desktop directly and run the player.

pjamme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:24:08 AM »
Criley/Anoop,
Thanks for your comments.  No as I said I have gone through all power settings:  "I have been through the Power settings numerous time making sure everything is set to Never."
The computer has not rebooted, and can see no reason why it should.  No screen saver is set.  I actually set a screen saver, and set the time to 9000 minutes and then unchecked password required and turned off the screen saver.
I am at a loss.  Surely someone has experienced this.  Could it be something in Policy for the Enterprise version? I can go Windows professional instead if this is the issue.
Or my anti virus is Trend Micro Enterprise, I could uninstall and use MSE
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:28:53 AM by pjamme »

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »
Hmmmmm, group policies obviously are not an issue since you have a fresh system in a workgroup environment. When you say re-imaged, is this from a windows disk, network image or other image. I ask, because some companies build their own images with their group policies built in.

Have you checked the registry for settings? Also, you may want to try creating another user account and see if running the player on that new account has the same issue. If not, you can run the player with that and not worry about passwords.

pjamme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 04:49:07 AM »
Criley,
Re-image was from a VL DVD.  I just removed the password for the local admin user I am using and rebooted.  Signage player restarted on reboot, Good sign.
I am in windows 2012 training all next week but will check forum as the opportunity arises.
I will report back for sure  on September 1st when once again I see the computer again.
got my Aver Media card today, any tricks to using that?  Do I leave my nVidia card in there too?

Oh, I never mentioned that whenever the computer restarts or often when updated I have 2 signage Players running.  If updated one is Reboot Player and does not go away unless I kill the process.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:05:06 AM by pjamme »

pjamme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
Anoop,
even though I did not see a reboot in Event Viewer.  I just check Station settings and it was set to reboot at 00:00.  good call.

Any ideas why i get 2 Signage Players running a Save hasthe Reboot Player in limbo with black screen?

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:23:31 AM »
Check your start up services. Sometimes when installing multiple times with different users I have found that there were two instances of the controller which caused the player to try and start up twice.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
In the start up ensure that there is only one signage controller and if there is a signage player also in the startup remove it. This player opening twice happens in certain machines, this used to happen long time back i have not seen that recently

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 07:03:22 AM »
thanks guys for all your assistance...

HFXSigns.ca

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 03:57:42 AM »
Silly question, is the system setup to access remote desktop connections? If you're using Windows Remote Desktop to setup, there is a default option that if unattended it will lock the PC upon disconnect. Which will then cause the password to be required. Something to think about.

pjamme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:43:20 AM »
No i have not gotten remote connection setup yet.  Plan to use Remote utilities.
The TV is a JVC Model EM42FTR and apparently has an "Auto power Off (DPMS) feature".  this turns off the monitor if there is no signal after a period of time.  I called JVC to see if it could be disabled as I currently have signagePlayer set to tun it off at quitting time and back on at 7:30AM.  However because of this feature it has to be manually turned on.  LOL

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines