February 25, 2020, 04:18:21 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Studio Pro monitoring problem?  (Read 2608 times)

jasonwgreen

• View Profile
Studio Pro monitoring problem?
« on: September 24, 2014, 07:04:55 AM »
I am using Studio Pro 4.20.48 on Win 7.  It was working fine at first, monitoring my android media droid units, showing proper "connection" status indicators, screenshots, etc. 

I then left it running overnight. 

When I returned in the morning, all "connection" lights had gone from green to red, and all other indicators such as Last Status, Running, Current Memory, etc were all blank.
However, all signage player units were still playing fine, and when I clicked the "play" button and sent an update to a unit, it responded immediately.  So, I know the units were still communicating to the server, but the Studio was not able to display any of it.  If I hadn't had direct access to the player units, I would have assumed that I'd lost connection or that the players had stopped.

Is this a known issue? What could be causing this?
I'm planning on rolling out a large number of these as soon as possible, but I need to know that I can remotely monitor and control them in a reliable way.

Thanks!
Jason

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Studio Pro monitoring problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
the most likely reason is a dropped connection to your local area network...
were you connected via wifi?
were you able to ping the android locally within your own LAN?

another way to test, stop player, open browser on android device, go to google, does it work? that proves if your local connection is on / off

regards

jasonwgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
The connection could have dropped over night, but it was working fine at the time that I noticed the problem.
If the connection temporarily dropped while the studio pro was running, would it be able to recover, or would it have to be restarted in order to pick up on fresh data after that?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »
sure, the SignagePlayer retries every 60 seconds to connect to our servers...
while I am not sure what was the issue, I am pretty sure it has to do with network connection.
try and use Ethernet instead of WIFI and see if problem goes away.

HFXSigns.ca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
I just had this exact situation happen while working with a client on the phone. I was using StudioPro and making updates in the stations tab when my entire screen went from green to red and didn't recover. I was looking at my SignagePlayer on my tablet beside me and it was still posting updates so I assumed it was StudioPro loosing connection. I closed/reopened StudioPro and everything was as expected back at green. Might want to raise a bug ticket.

jasonwgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
Yes, I have had this repeat a few times now, but it seems to recover after I restart studio pro.
It would be worthwhile finding a workaround for this local-connection-loss situation to help prevent panic attacks. :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
I could your internet connection timing out.. if that is the case, i'd suggest you click FILE> SYNC every time you start you day, so that the Studio syncs to the server.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines