February 26, 2020, 11:18:55 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Which is the best feed type?  (Read 2815 times)

gchambers

• View Profile
Which is the best feed type?
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
Want to throw a question out to the digital signage community around feed types.  With so many, I sometimes get confused which is best based on my situation. 
Generally speaking, which is best feed type that allows for quick loading and uses the least player resources?  When I was acquiring feeds from screenfeed, bluefox, and digichief, they all wanted to know what delivery method I preferred.  There was html, flash, mrss, mp4, xml, download links, delivery boy, etc and does it matter if it is a periodic feed versus a realtime feed or if it is video versus text/images.
I am using media signage players (200's and 300's) usually connected to the internet wirelessly.

Thanks for your input!
Greg

AndrewL

• View Profile
Re: Which is the best feed type?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 03:44:11 AM »
MRSS works well because it plays feeds in a random order. XML is good as well but will play in order. I personally use MRSS for entertainment.

gchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply...
The problem I find with mrss is the load time.  If your feed is frequent and the player has to load the data every time, I get the loading status bar showing on the screen for a short period of time.  If there is a way to stop this from happening, I would love to know.

Greg

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
What you are probably seeing is the download bar. Every time you ping screen feed it will send you a new RSS with new random images meaning your player will want to download everything again. No way around that, that adheres to their terms of service anyway. Contact them and let them know your issue and they might have a solution for you.

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »
To my understanding, the Media RSS component cannot cache content, which means it has to load every time. I've spoken with DigiChief and they've said because there's a ping every time, there could be potential bandwidth issues with large scale networks.

We've tried hosting our own MRSS feeds (15 second HD MP4 video streams), but because of the lack of caching and subsequent recurring pings, we were eating through 500GB a day of bandwidth. And that's across just 20 players. Needless to say, we had to shut it down after just 3 days. If the MRSS could cache, bandwidth consumption would drastically decrease making some form of self-hosted MRSS feasible.

From what I've read, it seems the lack of caching in the MRSS component is a shortcoming and doesn't quite match up to the industry standard.

Are there any plans to update and improve this component?

In answer to part of your question, gchambers, it does matter whether it's a periodic or real-time feed, and if it's video or still image.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:25:45 PM by teethstraight »

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines