February 22, 2020, 10:43:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Multi Screen Synchronization  (Read 3725 times)

frengix

• View Profile
Multi Screen Synchronization
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
In a big installation with many screens in a particular zone, it is important for advertisers to promote their brand by having all screens play simultaneously. The use of NTP and playback synchronization is important here to make sure that all ads play the same contents without gaps or racing. It would be nice if when a player restarts it automatically identify which item in the timeline is playing now and synchronizes itself.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Screen Synchronization
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
Probably you could use scheduler so that the previous ads dont get displayed, but you cant have the system of starting from the last played ad.

frengix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
Yeah, I understand that this can be done through the scheduler. My concern was that when the schedule time is due, whether all signage players will play content in sync without any lagging between screens. So the question here is after a schedule is configured, is it the SingangePlayer that initializes playback by monitoring the player HW internal clock, or it is through a command from the mediaSERVER instructing the players to start the playlist?

If it is the SingangePlayer is what initializes playback, then I would suppose what I am looking for can be achieved by ensuring that all player clocks are in sync with an NTP server. Still I assume proper syncing  can be done if SingangePlayer has an inherent feature that makes sure that all players are playing in sync on the application layer and not only ensuring that schedule start time is the same. This can be needed due to the fact that playback can be hindered by HW related factors causing maybe intermittent hiccups in video playback ultimately causing videos playback to look different from one screen to another.

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:26:45 AM »
As far as I know it is synced using the internal clock. Besided I do not think you can get the players to play in sync 100%. As you already say, there is always the possibility of a small hickup wich will cause them to be unsynced.

Maybe you can achieve wat you want by using just 1 player for all the screens? If all the screens play the same content and are close to each other, which I assume because you want them to play in sync this might be the easiest solution. If this is not possible I have no idea how to help you with this sync issue.

frengix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 04:14:44 AM »
Yes, I see. I will try to group as much screens as possible to be connected to the same player.

Thanks

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines