October 18, 2019, 01:49:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Android players. Got reporting live status  (Read 5235 times)

MarkSJ

• View Profile
Android players. Got reporting live status
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:52 AM »
Has anyone else seen this problem?

I have a number of Android players (4.11 rockchip based) all are connected directly to the public internet. Some never show a status of "green circle" when playing, others will show green circle for perhaps 10 minutes then show red.

I only get this problem with Android players.

Could this be a latency issue? I am based in thailand using the default server (which when setting up a new player I haven to press the connect button 4/5 times for it to work)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:56:19 PM by MarkSJ »

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Android players. Got reporting live status
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
Check the wifi status it happens because it is taking huge time for connecting to server

MarkSJ

• View Profile
Re: Players. Not reporting live status
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »
Ok, so a little more information on further testing:

1. All my players are located in Thailand. Latency to pluto.signage.me is around 370ms, traceroute is 18 hops.
2. I experience the same problem regardless of OS (now tested on windows, iOS and Android)
3. I will initially get a status of green when a player starts, then after a few minutes the status goes red and stays that way
4. All players are connected directly to the internet some WiFi, some hard wired (makes no difference)
5. This is happening with multiple ISP's (AIS, 3BB, True and TTT)
6. This is happening in multiple locations across the city
7. When support add a player in the US to test everything appears to work without issues.

Everything points thus far to an issue connecting from Asia to the US.

Are there any other folk having the same problem with players connecting from Asia ? (Thailand, Malaysia, India etc etc) ?
Can anyone offer up any suggestions at all as to what I can do next? (short of putting in a private server)

Obviously, I am concerned about being able to see the live status of players and also reporting on the proof of play, sending new content etc etc

Thanks

/Mark

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
even if the network is slow, as long as you don't drop packets (which would cause a lot of re-transmissions and possible corruption in connection), player should connect and play and cache all content... eventually....

MarkSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »
The players running the content is not a problem, the players all work very well with no issues.

The problem I have is monitoring of the players as their status constantly shows as red.  Even if the players intermittently sent a "green" status, there is no player history capability via the monitoring screen.

Current options as I see it right now:

1. MS fix the issue of players incorrectly reporting status / MS provide a historical report of player network status
2. Using the proof of play AD analytics, I can already use the report to get a basic idea of player status over time
3. I use an additional application like kioskmonitor or sitekiosk.com or kioware

As it stands, I am thinking about going the 3rd party application option as this other added advantages (such a locking down the device)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:14:12 PM »
what is your business id (Help > About in Studio) so I can check some logs.

MarkSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 01:50:21 AM »
Thanks, business id is 366196  all help greatly appreciated

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »
I don't see any stations registered for this account, please advice...

MarkSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
Sorry 367493

MarkSJ

• View Profile
SOLVED: Re: Android players. Not reporting live status
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
Hi All,

Quick update on my problem with devices not reporting their status. 

If the signage controller software is running, then the player status is correctly shown.  The strange thing for me, is that the signage controller application was not starting at boot up with my Android build, even when I added the controller to start up, I could see via the notifications that the controller went through the process of kill signage player BUT then did not do the second piece of starting signage player.

So, for me the solution that works is in Auto Start application I put the controller application in twice.  This has now resolved all status reporting problems and also ensures the controller is running.

I suspect, that the issue is with the "hide status bar" app which I also run at start up.

Either way, I hope this thread is of use to other folk who may experience the same problem.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 09:06:23 AM »
yes there are many Android devices and so it may be that your device requires a bit of a diff setup...

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines