August 21, 2019, 12:31:42 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Multiple Time Lines / Screens Advice Please.  (Read 2332 times)

MarkSJ

• View Profile
Multiple Time Lines / Screens Advice Please.
« on: August 16, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
I have 10 stations, each station plays 2 rotating time lines.  One of the time lines is common to all stations, the other is unique to each station, each station is running its own individual campaign.

If I wish to update the content on the time line that is common to all stations, currently I would need to update the timeline in each campaign ie 10 different changes.

I am sure there must be a way of organizing my stations and timelines better to reduce this regular updating (especially as content changes weekly) so that I only make the change in one place.  Any ideas, thoughts and pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Time Lines / Screens Advice Please.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:19:18 AM »
If you are a Enterprise user then you can use collection component. Create a scene with the collection component and put the scene inside all the ten timelines. In the scene that has collection component you can make the changes so that it gets reflected in all the timelines.

MarkSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 07:13:08 AM »
Ok, I am not an Enterprise user at this point evaluating the signage options. This does seem like another good reason to get the enterprise version. Thanks for the assistance.

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »
There is another method. You can use the multiple outputs for several locations, and only change one timeline. It is a horrible solution, but it is the only alternative.

I wish we could get a better way to program timelines.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
have you seen the new scheduling of sequences feature that is part of release 4.20?

MarkSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »
Ok, I tested the collection component, unfortunately it doesn't support videos so I would need to create a scene for each one. Messy, but possible.

Another more simple thought I had was to host the video files on an external server, then just update them as needed. Two things I need to check:

1. Are external videos cached
2. If they are cached, how long are they cached for before checking for a new file version.

Mark

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:56 PM »
Collection doesn't support videos, who told you that?

See here:

http://screencast.com/t/Z328auzMX
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:37:58 AM by admin »

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »
I do what KingPro does. The campaign is for a specific set of screens at multiple locations. Say the front desk. I have multiple outputs labeled as each location this way the common channel is shared amungst all locations and any change I make gets updated to all screens within that campaign.

MarkSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 02:28:46 AM »
Thanks all for your advice and assistance (particularly Anoop) I think with the pointers and suggestions from the community I have a plan that should work.

Thanks

Mark

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines