December 06, 2019, 07:39:36 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: NO connection, Microsoft TMG Firewall  (Read 2890 times)

ukdigital

• View Profile
NO connection, Microsoft TMG Firewall
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:09:47 AM »
Anyone have any experience with Microsoft TMG, A client uses this as their firewall across an mpls network (using dual bonded DSL lines), my players cannot connect to the signage.me server?

this is what I had back from their admin..

I’ve been Investigating further over the last few days and have come to no definitive conclusion. The issue might be related to the TCP 3 way handshake, since I do see attempts from the Media box but looks like the SYN-ACK doesn’t complete (to establish a TCP socket) so the TMG eventually closes the connection.

We have Apple TV, media streaming running within their environment and no issues, so not sure why your Box isn’t working but as I’ve mentioned the process the Media Box utilises over port 80 may not function correctly through a MS Firewall TMG environment. This issue may also be related further back on the network behind the TMG so the net team are also investigating?

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NO connection, Microsoft TMG Firewall
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »
I have a system running at a set of Real Estate offices that are also on an MPLS with dual bonded T1s and as IT Director all was working fine. We did not go through a Microsoft firewall, however our setup was a bit complicated. Try using the same connection as the apple TV. Is the apple TV running on wifi?

ukdigital

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
Hi Criley,

Thanks for the reply, not sure if their apple TV is running wireless or wired, I have one box on their wired connection and one box on wired, neither work, although the wired flashes yellow once or twice a day, I will ask to try a box in the same site that the apple TV is working?

many thanks for your help!

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
anytime, please let me know how it goes.

ukdigital

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
An update on this, the customer changed some settings in the microsoft TMG firewall and the player connected, I asked for what he had changed but I didn't get an answer,

Now two months on and the system has been working fine but the customer has come back and said they have had an issue with what they say they have done to allow access, I am wary of this as they claim that they have turned off http/s filtering to allow access, but I remember the tech guy saying he changed something to do with compression and it was no big deal, I wonder if an internal issue is now being blamed on the signage player changes,

they claim that the signage player will only connect with HTTP/S filtering turned off (which is now what they claim they did) and with this turned off their system will not virus check downloads so will be reverting the changes and the players will no longer connect?

any input would be appreciated?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:11:52 AM by ukdigital »

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines