October 17, 2018, 08:49:48 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: SignageController always says "Not Running"  (Read 4669 times)

40bass

• View Profile
SignageController always says "Not Running"
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:51:49 AM »
Does anybody have the SIGNAGECONTROLLER??? It always says "Not Running" when running SignagePlayer

tnx!

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SignageController always says "Not Running"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »
Are you running the player on a windows desktop or Android? If it is in Windows it will be there in the startup folder itself. The controller has to run for the signage players proper functioning. If you are on android and if you have purchased the hardware from Mediasignage then the controller will be built in. If you are using 3rd party android stick or tablet then you will not have the controller

Jan Blok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:36:28 PM »
OK: now I am worried...

If only the Mediasignage hardware has the SignageController and the Android app does not: does that mean that third party Android sticks / tablets are crippled and not really suited for running the Sinageplayer?

Or does one not really need the SinageController, in which case the question arises: why does it exist in the first place?

Please elaborate, before I invest in unsuitable hardware!

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »
Signage Controller is the watchdog incase the signage player stops or error occurs the signage controller helps in rebooting the system, Digital signage s run where human intervention is very less so in case of any error or signage player stopping the player has to restart for which you need signage controller. You can mail me back will help you out with the signage controller

Jan Blok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
Ok, thanks for the information. A bit disappointingly I would say, because that controler would be exactly the key feature that I (or anyone else I guess) dearly need for any professional set up.

Concerning the Signage player for Android, it looks extremely beta to me, even touching alpha. No autostart, no display options (like full screen), no controller (to save us for embarrassing start-screens in stead of a running display), no "allways on"- to prevent the device switching to screen saver mode. It starts and stops. That's all. It is more a proof of concept than a finished product.

I hope it will get off the ground soon, because with the abundance of low-cost Android HDMI sticks, this app could be the perfect starting  point for any Digital Sinage solution.

Thanks again for your reply!
Jan Blok

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:34:31 PM »
our Android player is not beta, it is extremely stable and very much battle tested.
BUT, keep in mind that all of our testing and optimization is generally done against our AD-90 and AD-150, so I would recommend getting them...
But never the less, we would not get the be the world's most popular digital signage platform if our Android player was not rock solid!

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:44:37 AM »
I agree with admin about the android player not being beta. It is a very neat player.
However I also have to admit, that I still have to install third party apps to enable full-screen.
The signage controller takes autostart for its part. A full-screen function embedded in either the controller or android player would be a great addition in the future.

Just always keep in mind that ARM processors (the hdmi sticks you are referring to) are not nearly as powerfull as 64bit desktop processors (as in de media box). It is easily possible to make these sticks get stuck caused by an overload of content. It is very helpfull to play on a 1280x720 resolution.

I use the android solution for professional setups and it works great!

frengix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:22:26 AM »
I am equally disappointed and amazed to only have learned about this now by accident. I was about to order Android TV boxes next week and this comes as a shock to me. SignageController for Android is a ncessessity for a professional setup. I urge MS to compliment its great solution with providing this for its loyal customers. Can you be kind enough to provide us with the APK for the current version 4.20.15 like you did before here: http://script.digitalsignage.com/forum/index.php/topic,4036.msg12238.html#msg12238

Thanks

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »
I am not sure what is the Q?
you can still download 4.20 APK and can still download the SignageController APK...
both FREE!!!!

frengix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:29 AM »
Thanks Admin. Yes, I learned that yesterday.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines