December 10, 2019, 11:19:48 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Android serious video playback bug  (Read 7045 times)

AndrewL

• View Profile
Android serious video playback bug
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:36 AM »
H264 encoded videos (extensions FLV, MOV, MP4) that are 20 seconds or less do not play properly on either Android device provided by MediaSignage (MS). Although they play smooth, they reset midway, freeze up, blackscreens or skip midway. I have rendered video files in AECS6 every way imaginable, reduced frame rates, keyframes, bitrates, video size. I have tried also on the timeline, auto rewind on and off, respect content length on and off. When live chat told me my videos just must not be compatible (several different chat sessions with different reps) I took the wave racer video MS provides put it in freemake chopped it up into 15 second blocks with the 3rd party software and still have the same issue.

Now perhaps, unconfirmed by me, H264 works on 3 minute videos like the wave racer but for video but it does not work on 15 second video clips running one after another. I have a dozen Android players that are all doing the same thing (all provided by MS).

This said, it does work with FLV extension with FLV encoding (set in freemake) but the playback frame rate is very reduced on Android, however it does play all the way through.

I really hate to have to choose between poor frame rate over video playback stability.

Please look into this!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Android serious video playback bug
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
we did improve some aspects of content loading, can you please try it with Release 4.15 which is now available as final release candidate:
download here: http://script.digitalsignage.com/forum/index.php/topic,4169.msg12447.html

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
Message appears that the topic has been removed. Can you recheck.

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 05:01:47 AM »
Okay tested.. Any extension as H264 still does the same thing.. Flv flv plays a bit smoother it seems.. Not 100% yet. Please continue to look into the h264 as it does play with the best frame rate. I also notice it cuts about half a second from the beginning and end of a video on release and beta signage software. Hopefully this helps in diagnosing the issues.

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
I, too, am experiencing this problem.  I hope MS gets this load/play problem fixed.  It looks terrible out in the field when this happens and makes the project look cheap and unprofessional.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »
are you using latest 4.15 build?
we re-ran all test bed tests and could not reproduce the issue.

1. reset cache (so latest modules download)
2. re-run on build 4.15

let us know if issue resolves.

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:33:37 AM »
Is build 4.15 for the signage player?  When is it available for production?  I can't use beta builds.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
We can't seem to replicate the issue, can you give us the settings you are using? We can a campaign with 5 less than 30 sec MP4 videos.  What we saw was the last frame of the video will for some reaoson play back for a sec before the next video play. but we didnt run into any skipping or freezing issue. Have already submitted a bug report for the Mp4 last frame issue, so hopefully we will have a fix included on the 4.15 release.

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »
Could you provide a zip file of the videos you are using so I may test on my end?
Did you produce the mp4 or use free make to convert them?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »
Could you provide a zip file of the videos you are using so I may test on my end?
Did you produce the mp4 or use free make to convert them?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Here are the files we are using,  we didnt produce the mp4s, but converted via freemake to cut to less than 30 sec durations.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24684390/Temp/421.mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24684390/Temp/427.mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24684390/Temp/428.mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24684390/Temp/429.mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24684390/Temp/433.mp4

These files will be deleted in 48 hours.  The presentation with these videos has been running for more that 24hrs on our droid150s with no lockups.

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 12:05:29 PM »
Thank you for sharing - I believe I have pinpointed the bug - AUDIO.

I noticed your clips have audio in them whereas mine do not - I pulled the gopro video audio and added the mp3 into my clips using freemake and boom - worked with H264 as the codec.

So... Clips with audio (I used ACC Stero 44100 Hz 320 Kbps) work without the issues described - all but it cutting the video a second short. The exact same clips without the audio layer experience all of the concerns as listed above.

Please add to bug report - In the meantime I will see about re-rendering my video files with a silent audio clip.

Thank you

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
Thank you for sharing - I believe I have pinpointed the bug - AUDIO.

I noticed your clips have audio in them whereas mine do not - I pulled the gopro video audio and added the mp3 into my clips using freemake and boom - worked with H264 as the codec.

So... Clips with audio (I used ACC Stero 44100 Hz 320 Kbps) work without the issues described - all but it cutting the video a second short. The exact same clips without the audio layer experience all of the concerns as listed above.

Please add to bug report - In the meantime I will see about re-rendering my video files with a silent audio clip.

Thank you

433.mp4 has no audio.

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »
I saw that - but you may not have noticed weird playback since the other 4 files did have audio.

If you don't believe me strip the audio in freemake and play the new files. I'm not crazy and I linked the youtube video for you to see what it does.

At the end of the day, I have the solution to the problem which is to embed a silent audio file into it.

If you choose to disregard my feedback then I guess that's it. Like I said, I now have the solution and I feel comfortable using Android out in the world.

Thanks

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 09:15:40 PM »
Thank you, Andrew L.  Your remedy works like a charm!

Xizor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »
Has any progress been made on the issue of H.264 files showing the last few frames at the beginning of each loop of the video file? H.264 file displays a very fluid full frame rate but the files suffer from two problematic behaviors.

H.264 Files:
  • Display the last few frames of the video at the beginning of each new replay of the file.
  • Do not obey transition commands. They always blink abruptly.

FLV Files (VP-6 codec, not F4v files):
  • Play at a lower frame rate than the actual file has encoded. Resulting in a jerky motion experience.
  • Play reliably from first to last frame.
  • Do obey transition commands and smoothly fade in and out of neighboring content on the timeline.

Both sets of files don't have to be fixed, just one or the other. Android is gaining serious ground in digital signage and has been for quite a while. It would be amazing to have a solid video solution to provide digital signage users.

FYI. Our Android players are running the latest version of 4.15.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines