August 17, 2019, 05:38:48 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Awful quality of still images  (Read 12281 times)

soportegms

• View Profile
Awful quality of still images
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »
Hi,

As far as I know I'm not the only one having a really bad time with the awful quality of the still images (specially if there's text on them). I tried almost everything: make them same size of the output resolution, antialiasing, rasterize, convert to flash, make'm bigger, color depth, and so on. Nothing appears to help.

So I'm pretty much out of ideas here. The developers seem to ignore all the requests to fix this in software so I really don't know what else to try.

I tried Windows, Linux, android and iOS players and they all have terrible quality displaying otherwise pristine images.

I'm giving up my hope to use this system as a "professional" signage patform, mainly because of this issue, as I consider this is a MUST HAVE for any DS platform (even a free one).

I hope at least the development team can give us a clear explanation about why this issue is so hard to fix (there are requests since 2008). I think 6 years is more than enough to fix this.

PS. I´m a Enterpise user (until now).

HFXSigns.ca

• View Profile
Re: Awful quality of still images
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:38:49 PM »
I haven't been experiencing issues as you have described. Could you provide screenshots or further explanation of what you're experiencing? What is the monitor you're using? What player are you using?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 06:31:27 AM »
This platform is used by thousands of companies with amazing success, so of course you can get crystal clear presentation and imagery, it is your config that's improperly setup.

please review this video as it explains proper setup: http://www.digitalsignage.com/_html/signage_video.html?videoNumber=chprops

Did you try Live Chat? Please speak to Lawrence and have him review your setup and provide him with all details of your player (resolution, color depth and ratio)...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:34:43 AM by admin »

MyThoughts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »
My company is currently in the process of evaluating different digital signage solutions. I could complain about a great many things I've encountered with DigitalSignage.com, however that would also be true of all the other solutions we have tried.

With regard to the OP and the problem with poor image quality when playing back still images. I too am having this problem, it was by far the worst on the android platform. This unfortunately was our target device. In testing their competitors android software we noticed it was reporting a screen resolution of 1280x720 on our android device. However our display was reporting 1080p, and the setting in the android software were 1080p.

Since we have not decided upon a platform we are using a 3rd party android RK3188 based device for testing purposes.

Upon further investigation we found that despite reporting 1080p, the stock kernel that was compiled on our android device was actually only capable 720p, then up scaling to 1080p. We used a custom rom, and reflashed our unit to support true 1080p.

While not perfect, and still not as good as the quality of some of their competitors it was an immediate 100% improvement. I would bet that many of the android quality/aliasing issues are do to this. Not exactly DigitalSignage.com's fault but it appears to be.

I would suggest that on the android player control interface (the one with the start/stop) that it reports the actual resolution the kernel is rendering at, this may help others find out if this is causing issues.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:45:07 AM by MyThoughts »

soportegms

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »
Hi

I tried Live Chat and they told me android player does not support 1080p playback, only 720p. I comform my content to 720p but the aliasing issues remains. I tried various android players (MediaDROID (cube version), HP Slate 21, Blusens Android TV nano, AOC 10" tablet), iOS(iphone 5, iPad 2, iPad 4), windows players (amd APU 6, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD6450, win7 x64) and the same configuration running Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 x64).

All of them have the same aliasing issues regardless the output resolution (720p, 1080p or 1024x768 in some devices).

As I said we create the content to conform the output resolution in each case, with a bit depth of 16 bits 72 ppi, rasterized and anti aliasing applied.

I don't know if ALL of them was configured improperly but all I can say is that we are creating content and managing DS networks for 10 years and never had problems to meet the different software content standards.

I tried to post the screen capture of the player and the original content but I'm not allowed to post external links.

Thanks

MyThoughts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »
I definitely agree that there is a major issue with image quality. In playing with the software more I too have noticed aliasing issues on other platforms as well, I just found android to be the worst. Hopefully they get this sorted out, between the image quality issue, Android player stability with anything other then plain images, and ridiculously slow video playback (competitor's product with same file and same hardware is glass smooth), I am feeling like I am being forced to spend my money elsewhere.

Thankfully my enterprise sub is just month to month.

I do find it strange as when I went through a lengthy live chat not once was I told the player did not support 1080p even after I explained that our device was running a true 1080p kernel.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 07:26:47 AM »
If you create the image to proper screen WxH you will get crystal clear images. Be sure to follow the video tutorial above and as for the resolution on Android, it is posted on the mediaPLAYER product page.

regards.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines