November 19, 2019, 02:01:38 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Signage player just blacks out the screen  (Read 4622 times)

ShowIT Media

• View Profile
Signage player just blacks out the screen
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:14:08 AM »
Hi.

Can someone help me out here.

Running a campaign the signageplayer after a while just turns the screen black
the player is still running and responsive, but it just stops rendering output to the screen.

the ram and cpu usage is stable and with in margins but when it stops rendering output the cpu usage drops to 0

there is nothing to see in any logfiles.

Does anyone have any Idea on what is going on?

Regards,

Jonas

Sven Coenye

• View Profile
Re: Signage player just blacks out the screen
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:49:11 PM »
One of ours just started doing that as well. This box was just updated to current (Adobe AIR 13.0.0.83, SignagePlayer 4.12.38) while on a wild goose chase caused by a problem with a different station. Since then, the display is black. We can see the player cycle when commanded to stop/start, but otherwise, nothing.

Out of our three stations, this is the only one to exhibit the problem. All are Win XP SP3, patched to last, with the same AIR and player version.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
Can you check on the stations Power saving mode if it is turned on then turn off and see if there is any improvement

Sven Coenye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »
Hello Anoop,

Sorry for the delayed response. I got busy patching a certain SSL hole...

I have checked the Power saving settings for the station. They were off. I have cycled them on/save + upload/off/save + upload, to no avail. I can see the SignagePlayer cycle whenever an upload command is sent, but it immediately goes dark again. The snapshot feature in SignageStudio does show the correct screen, however.

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 02:10:18 AM »
Is there any possibility this black screen is caused by the tv or monitor you are using? I think it is very weird that the snapshot shows the correct screen, but the screen is black. Have you changed any resolution settings lately?

Sven Coenye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
We checked the resolution and frequency. Everthing is as it should be for the connected screen, a Sony Bravia running at 1024x768, 60 Hz. These numbers are on the EDID capabilities list. The display works fine as long as Windows is still starting up processes. It goes dark as soon as the SignagePlayer takes control. If the SignagePlayer is stopped using Studio, we see the signage status panel.

The blackout persists with remote control tools like Dameware. That is not normally the case if it is just the PC and screen disagreeing with each other. Also, using Dameware, the proper display pokes through if a Windows action is triggered, like pulling up the Start menu, or opening Control Panel.

We've now also uninstalled anything that looks like it might interfere, like the IE Flashplayer plugin. So far, no effect.

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:19:22 AM »
Hmmm, in that case I don't know what causes this issue either... It seems like it is caused by the signage player software. Have you tried displaying different content (like 1 picture)?

Sven Coenye

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »
Hadn't thought of doing that yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, after building a whole new campaign with a single screen and one image, the net effect was the same: the player cycles and immediately goes dark. However, after restoring the original campaign to the station, the snapshot now comes up black as well. I suppose that is progress...  :-\

Time to break out the crowbar next week.

HFXSigns.ca

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
Did you try to flush the cache? Or even manually delete the cache folders on Windows?

You do get a screen if SignagePlayer is closed right? I see you mentioned the start menu does display correctly. So it's not an OS level issue. Try deleting the SignagePlayer folder in the user data -

XP - c:\docs and settings\user\local settings\signageplayer.xxx
Vista or higher - c:\users\user\app data\roaming\signageplayer.xxx

Sven Coenye

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
We did flush the cache several times (we threw every refresh option available in the SignageStudio at it multiple times), although we didn't manually mess with it.

The screen stayed black for almost a week, but seems to have had a miraculous recovery over the weekend. The player is now working normal again. I'll quit while I'm ahead...

Many thanks to all for the suggestions.

JMH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 01:11:14 AM »
That is very strange... Please keep us posted if you find out what caused this black screen.

cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »
Maybe the connection is unstable.

Try testing offline.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines