November 27, 2021, 03:49:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Optimize loading the Android Player when it has no connection.  (Read 2833 times)

cloud

• View Profile
Optimize loading the Android Player when it has no connection.
« on: January 18, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
Hi!

When there is no internet connection in Android Player, it takes up to 15 minutes to load the offline campaign.

:)

IPNDDS

• View Profile
Re: Optimize loading the Android Player when it has no connection.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »
I've encountered this issue using a MediaDroid 85h.  After exhaustive testing, I think I found what the problem is.

Unlike PCs and MACs which have a battery to keep the system clock correct when the power is unplugged or turned off, the MD85 (and perhaps the MD150) does not have such a feature.  They rely on an Internet connection to sync the time.  OK, doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, is it?  Well, yes it is.

If you have an intermittent Internet connection or no Internet connection, you're safe as long as your signage project used the SEQUENCER.  Using the sequencer just tells the signage player what items need to run from cache.

It becomes a huge issue if there is no Internet and you happen to be using the SCHEDULER.  Using the scheduler relies on the time in order to play out the proper timelines at the right time.  If you have no Internet when you power on your Android device, the device can't sync or set the time and thus the signage player goes into a tailspin and either takes forever to start playing or doesn't play at all.

I suggest that the player should always default to the SEQUENCER in the event that there is no Internet connection or intermittent Internet connection.  That would solve this issue.

Thanks.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines