August 06, 2020, 02:31:39 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Search tool in kiosk  (Read 3235 times)

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Search tool in kiosk
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »
I am building a video juke box like kiosk initially the videos were less and hence i could use labels and enable using the collection component. But the videos have increased rapidly and now we need to build a search component so that only those titles need to appear when some one types few letters. I cant develop a html5 search tool and use as a local html component because there should be a way for the videos to get downloaded from the server. Most of these kiosks have internet sparingly so we have to download that during that time and then work offline

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Search tool in kiosk
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
Howdy Anoop,

Why not use html5 and put a web server on your player or somewhere in house? This way you don't need Internet.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:07:26 PM »
Hey Criley;
The players are at the remote places and to transfer the videos we need a mechanism probably a task scheduler i dont know.. Wish there was a feature in MS that would allow us to transfer selected resources to players at a scheduled time irrespective of whether the content has been used or not. Earlier it used to download all the resources whether timeline plays or not. I lost a major client just because of this feature not available as they wanted to use the transfer of files duding non working hours

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
I know what you mean. If we make an update then the current timeline should continue to run until all resources are downloaded from newly updated timeline.

justadsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »
If you have the ability to have an FTP access point on the device, you can schedule FTP to run at certain times and update or add files.

I'm not an FTP or Server GURU - but know that you can create an FTP on the media player -- and then schedule a transfer in the off hours.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about having a central media hard drive that is also a web sever and would update while just use VLC to show the content. It would however be better to just have the content do load to the player directly though. This would also include RSS feeds or any other XML/text content and then have the player just pull from the offlne material. This way you can eliminate the need for an Internet connection should it fail or be spotty.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
Wait another week, we will have a brand new HTML5 SDK that will open a lot of options with player side development.
Our full blown kiosk solution is coming, but still a few months away... but it will be awesome...

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:56:48 AM »
I know technology booms but we have infrastructure and tech training issues... hence need to keep lot of things in backburner... Looking forward to the full blown kiosks

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines