October 16, 2021, 03:08:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Content downloading in background feature  (Read 8828 times)

mediaboy

• View Profile
Content downloading in background feature
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
Do the mediaDROIDs or the Signage Player software have the ability to download (pre-fetch) content in the background? If we have a major content update we encounter the following issues which aren't very customer (end viewer) friendly:

issue #1/ The signage player displays loading bars for the content that hasn't been cached. Download could take longer than the media item length (perception is that it's skipped).
issue #2/ When video content is downloading (lets call this media element #1) and IF the next timeline element trips in and plays (lets call this media element #2), media element #1 plays once the download completes (you are viewing media element #2 but can hear the audio of media element #1). This corrects itself when the timeline loops/restarts, but is especially odd if media element #2 is also a video.

Not so much of an issue in locations where the player isn't running 24/7 (i.e. we can  power on 30 mins before store opening in order to update) but it is more of an issue where the player is visible 24/7 e.g a shop window.

MichaelP

• View Profile
Re: Content downloading in background feature
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:07:13 AM »
Hi, I agree with you. It would be great if the download would run in the background and switch to the new presentation after it's finished. Another problem is, that the signage player always check for new content update on startup. If there is a error on the network, it stops at the white signage player screen. So in my opinion, the player should switch after a few seconds to the old signage presentation if there is a timeout to the server. => Check in background for new updates.

best regards

Michael

mediaboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:29:46 AM »
Being able to set a scheduled update time per device might be a sensible way to do this? i.e. at 9am a Station is set to check for updates.

This would put the Station in a 'maintenance state' that downloads new content to the mediaDROID/mediaBOX. Whilst the content update is in progress, perhaps we could specify a simple timeline/channel to play during the update (content would be need to be pre-cached or loaded before all of the other content).

We could override a scheduled update as per the usual (update station) command. Non-intensive data updates would still need to occur at fixed intervals (e.g. XML, RSS etc. – I believe that we can set these at a component level already).

Where this feature would be really useful is:
1/ In situations where a we need to deploy a screen but have agreed to update at specified times of the day (to not disrupt the network for sales critical functions). Knowing the player would only be checking for updates at specified intervals would be good.
2/ In situations where we need to push updates to the screen (e.g. at the end of our working day) but we do not want to disturb the Station playing - many shops open until 8 or 9pm but we push updates at 6pm (currently we rely on Stations being power cycled overnight in order to get new updates the next day)

milancrash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 05:55:24 AM »
This is a very important request. I think all of the users would be happy if you do this.
Sometimes I think that you do not take seriously the needs and prefer to develop new functions, instead of making the system more stable.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:24:32 AM »
we this is not "stability" but a request for a feature on progress download.
it will be added this year as soon as the mediaADNET is out.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines