November 19, 2019, 02:47:04 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Customer wants Excel in presentation  (Read 4110 times)

HVL

• View Profile
Customer wants Excel in presentation
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:22:48 AM »
Hi friends,

One of my customers is a sports club. Needless to say there are many matches every week for them. Every week the owner is able to log onto his clubs site at DBU.dk (danish football association) and download an Excel document showing the upcoming week's matches. If needed I can upload an example of such a file (basically just a table of matches, dates etc.).
Until now I've allowed customers to manually enter text into their presentations through a simple online CMS-system that edits html-documents I'm using as HTML components, but this customer is getting tired of having to enter every match and info every week and unfortunately the CMS-system doesn't allow him to c/p the table; now he comes to me, asking if there's any way we can find a solution to this problem - I don't know  the answer...
The scene division he wants it to be shown in is 750px x 408px.

So now I'm asking you; is there an easier way to implement the information from the Excel document unto the presentation? 
Please let me know if you're missing some information or anything...
& thanks in advance for your time!  :)

Mvh
Nick
HVL-Gruppen

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Customer wants Excel in presentation
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
You could try google docs, i think the excel document can be copied to that. The internet needs to be always available otherwise it will show blank screen

AndrewL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
We have a self service component on our website that enables customers to upload excel files saved as XML 200X and will generate an online XML file. Then I create an xmlplayer scene that reads the file and it shows up on their screen. We also have some code that the location could install on their website via iframe so they can update their website and screens at the same time. We charge 15 per month to our customers for this self service tool. Works well for sportsplexs, hotels etc.

Hope that info helps you!

HVL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:53:07 AM »
Thanks both of you!

ANOOP > I ended up using Google Docs - he told me it's at least a hundred times easier now than before  ;)

AndrewL >
That's another smart work-around! If it hadn't been that Google Docs seem to work almost perfectly, I'd definitely try it!

There's just one little problem now... The HTML component that I assigned the Google Doc to, won't update itself often enough. Yesterday it took the text box up to 12 hours to update itself. This isn't fast enough at all... Sadly. So until I find a solution to this, I've asked him to reboot the machine after each update. That solves the problem, since Google updates the document every half hour or so (which is fine!). It's just not an acceptable permanent solution that he has to reboot every time he's been adding new matches to the table.
So any work-arounds/quick fixes to this? I'm clueless on this one... Maybe I should create an HTML site displaying the Google doc and set a refresh timer to the document..?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
On the timeline have you filled up the html page as a single scene for continuous display? In that case it does not get the time to refresh, instead you have it as small bits so that it gets the refreshing time to display. I am just guessing this

KRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:23:48 AM »
We use excel sheets on one of our units...It displays all day, nothing else. I have the timelines as 10 minute increments, so each time it refreshes the timeline it also refreshes the spreadsheet.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
Rob are you using MS Excel or Google excel?

HVL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 05:40:12 AM »
Just to be clear; you want me to make fx. 2 or 3 html components with a link to the same Google Doc and put them in line on the timeline, right? And that should make it refresh in between the components?  :)

I've tried it now, I'll have to wait and see for results!

Thanks!

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 10:17:39 AM »
better way is to create a scene with html page and then populating the timeline with the same html pages after every 2 or 3 minutes. Instead of directly using the html component on the timeline

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines