December 01, 2021, 03:24:18 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 3031 times)

hsckuhns

• View Profile
Getting Started
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
Good morning. I currently work for a school district in the Bay Area and I have been assigned a project to get our menus loaded up on some flat panel TVs we are installing in our high school cafeterias. My needs aren't that great, we are only talking about seven schools with potentially another seven in the future. I feel the server is a bit of an overkill, but the individual schools may have to have different feeds to different menus. I am trying to find the best solution that is both economical, but also has room to grow.

I was looking at the mediaDROID-100 for each location. To enable each box to have a separate menu, do I have to create a separate account for each box? Or is there a way to create multiple broadcast channels for each box to receive a separate feed?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »
First I would like to point you to the Tutorial Videos. They are a great resource although some are outdated with the many updates the system has had. There is one on Multi-Output under the Advanced tab. This will answer your question more detailed than a simple No, you do not need a separate account for each school, however, I would highly recommend it as each school may want to take it further than the cafeteria. For instance a screen in the lobby or at the auditorium. Now you will have multiple clubs with different content on the screens and eventually you will want it to be separate.

Also, I had a few school sin the area approach me as well, but the biggest hurdle we ran into was a bunch of red tape from those who control the internet access. The BOE  would not open the gateway so we could communicate with the servers in the outside world. The only way to make it happen was to utilize a server in the LAN which was too costly for their budget and Cell signal was really poor for a 3g/4g router. As far as the power needed, the 100 would probably be fine for now, but I do my best to stick with Windows boxes for scalability.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines