December 18, 2018, 06:10:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Android player bug - serious!  (Read 4618 times)

warwickwater

• View Profile
Android player bug - serious!
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »
We have the simplest of timelines on a fullscreen (one screen division) layout. Its simply 45 seconds of the 'GoPro test video clip' followed by a 15 second jpg still.

It has worked fine for a while, but now the player is simply playing back a loop of the video, ignoring the jpg still. Quality is fine, theres no black screens or buffering attempts - just the player ignores the timeline.

Anyone seen this, and any ideas?

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Android player bug - serious!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:13 PM »
Try removing the auto-rewind feature in the video properties.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »
I have seen the android player freezes in the screen after 2 or 3 hours ; looks to be very unreliable. Is there any android app that can keep restarting the player after scheduled time.

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
I'm seeing that too on what was to be my new 'standard' player unit - a fairly plain Cortex A9 box with the usual Mali graphics. Looping a 480p test clip (supplied by MS) it is repeatedly dying after around an hour or so - far too often to be usable. My PC clients stay up for months at a time (but cost 8 times as much) - the power cuts always get them first before any software issues.

I'm not specifically blaming MS coding - it may well be underlying Android issues or even the hardware, but its not a usuable solution right now. Other companies have (paid for, maybe not as flexible) but working Android solutions, so it must be possible.... ?

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »
Is the freezing a limitation of the hardware device or is it because of the software.

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
Is the freezing a limitation of the hardware device or is it because of the software.
Well clearly I'd love to know that. I'm testing some other Android signage apps with the same content on the same device to see where I get with it. The device seems OK in everyday usage - but thats not as intense and as long term as a 24/7 signage app. I seem to get longer between crashes with 'simple' jpg stills than video - but its still not 100% solid.

Xizor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:28:41 AM »
I'm very curious as to the topic of this thread.

I have a U1A 1.2ghz android stick running Signageplayer.

So far I am able to run:

1. 360p video plus stills with transitions for 14 hrs.
2. Stills with transitions indefinitely.
3. 720p video plus stills with transitions for 2 hrs.

I do not believe the limitations are hardware related unless its memory needs to freed up more often to continue running. Which kind of brings me to my next point or question

If it is a software limitation what aspect of the software could it be? Is it that memory ticks upwards over time even though no new resources are added to the presentation?

What are your thoughts on this?

TerryM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Are you locking the tablet down in kiosk mode? If not, TechRepublic suggests SureLock @:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gears42.surelock&hl=en

techrepublic.com/blog/tablets/lock-down-your-tablet-with-surelock-kiosk-lockdown/1960

Terry M

nmessick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
I've tried two of the android devices from signage studio, plus an oDroid U2. None have been stable beyond a few hours.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
Did you buy our devices? they run for over 30 days with not a single reboot!

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 11:55:31 AM »
Here are the settings I use for encoding content for playback on the mediaDroids:

Codec: FLV
Video: 818x460
FPS: same as source (in my case almost always 24fps)
CBR: 1,000 kbps
Undershoot: 100
Quality: Best
Audio: 128 kbps Stereo MP3

My mediaDroids run without any major hiccups during normal hours of operation (usually 12 hour periods).  That is with a 720p BG image, 460p video window, a vertical news feed app, a horizontal feed at the bottom, and a weather app that replaces the vertical news feed when it is supposed to. 

Only real issue I have been having is them getting hung-up if I tell SignageController to restart/reboot the droid.  It has to be manually powered off and back on again.  I've also noticed that streaming MediaRSS feeds will work up until the device runs out of space.  It doesn't seem to know how to remove the older cached files like the PC version does.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines