August 11, 2020, 03:07:24 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Portrait screen in Android  (Read 6969 times)

warwickwater

• View Profile
Portrait screen in Android
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
Anyone achieved this on their own players? What software / settings did you use?I know I could buy MediaDroid, but a) its 3000 miles away and b) paying $300 for a $89 box does grate a bit! :-\

warwickwater

• View Profile
Re: Portrait screen in Android
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:33:30 PM »
Anyone? Is no-one using Android at all?

paulie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:37:15 AM »
It all depends on the android device your using.
We've managed to find a device that does both orientations, but it keeps reverting back to landscape on reboot.
You will need a programmer that is very very very familiar with the android platform to achieve.
But I don't think its hard just time consuming, as each device will need to be reprogrammed and debugged.
What device are you using?

Adolph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:51:46 AM »
I Wanted to use my Samsung S3 to show potential clients what I can do for them, but find this problem as well. I find the android app pretty useless. I hope one of the clever android programmers come  up with something that solves this. Please let us know if you overcome this problem

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
If you are serious about it then use Acer Iconia Tab W500 10.1 inch windows 7 or equivalent tablet or netbook to show to potential clients.

Android app is not usable as professional player, in my opinion it is not serous platform.  It lacks things that make it alternative to PC player.

1) There is no real control over the device (No Signage Controller)
2) You can not run it in full screen.
3) You can not rotate the screen.

There is no way on earth I could install Android device as real station and forget about it & hope everything will run smoothly without having to keep visiting the location every day.

It is good starting point but it has long way to go before it can be classed as serious device.

cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:57:52 PM »
If you are serious about it then use Acer Iconia Tab W500 10.1 inch windows 7 or equivalent tablet or netbook to show to potential clients.

Android app is not usable as professional player, in my opinion it is not serous platform.  It lacks things that make it alternative to PC player.

There is no way on earth I could install Android device as real station and forget about it & hope everything will run smoothly without having to keep visiting the location every day.

It is good starting point but it has long way to go before it can be classed as serious device.

I'm using only android players, and here my experience with them:

- You are correct, If the MediaSignage team sell the mediadroid custom ROM's would be great.  :D
     - It depends on the ROM you're using some custom ROMs have the option to hide the bar when some APP runs.
        But it does not work by default in Android Player.  :-\
     - Why not make the file already rotated? Work well.

In general: The Android Player helps a lot, but still does not replace a PC.
I believe that since a year ago until now, Android Player has improved considerably.

;D

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »
Well i have dual core mali400 stick to test Android player and it comes with jelly bean 4.1.1 Android.
It has full screen hide bar built in to this custom ROM so I can click on bottom bar and it slides down and hides away.
Other apps do go full screen, but the signage player does not go full screen. It leaves bottom black area about 2 inches blank.

I have no Idea about Signage controller on Android because I have not seen one yet.

How do you rotate clock and weather component & RSS?

cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 02:49:13 PM »
Well i have dual core mali400 stick to test Android player and it comes with jelly bean 4.1.1 Android.
It has full screen hide bar built in to this custom ROM so I can click on bottom bar and it slides down and hides away.
Other apps do go full screen, but the signage player does not go full screen. It leaves bottom black area about 2 inches blank.

I have no Idea about Signage controller on Android because I have not seen one yet.

How do you rotate clock and weather component & RSS?

The last version of Android Player in Google Play Store has full screen...

Mediadroid has signage controller.

Sorry for the question of rotation, I thought only the images and forgot components.

;D

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »
I am using Version 4.10.12(1.1.66) and it does not go full screen

Mediadroid might have signage controller but Android App or other devices do not have Signage controller

cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »
I am using Version 4.10.12(1.1.66) and it does not go full screen

Mediadroid might have signage controller but Android App or other devices do not have Signage controller

Stranger, I'm using same version and airVersion 3.5.0.600;
I have tested in custom ROM's and stock ROM's and its works very well.  ???

This has been fixed here:
http://script.digitalsignage.com/forum/index.php/topic,2206.msg7978.html (bug number 4)

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines