February 25, 2020, 04:20:39 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Scheduling LCD TV's to Turn On and Off Automatically  (Read 14124 times)

skashanchi

• View Profile
Scheduling LCD TV's to Turn On and Off Automatically
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »
Anyone out there figured out a way to schedule signage TV's to turn on and off automatically? Unfortunately using a simple lamp timer that cuts power on and off to the TV does not work, as most TV's only go to standby mode when power is restored to them.

We have 60" Sharp LED TV's connected to Mac Mini's running our campaigns. I can schedule the Mini's to turn on and off easily, and in fact the TV's can be set to turn off automatically after 15 minutes without detecting a signal. So I am good on turning them off automatically, but when the Mini's come back on in the AM, there is no way to tell the TV's to turn back on.

I know that I could do this by using external RS232 boxes and IR codes, etc., but I rather not get too complicated if possible. Anyone know off a way to make the Mac Mini send out IR codes via some sort of USB to IR controller, etc.?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

warwickwater

• View Profile
Re: Scheduling LCD TV's to Turn On and Off Automatically
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
The problem with IR is it mimics a single button (normally) so your command is not 'switch on' its 'switch to the opposite of what you are now'. So if someone had already switched a screen on, you would be turning it off, or vice versa. RS232 is not that hard to implement out of a PC (using a USB converter if needed). RS232 commands tend to be more precise!

dariussquared

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:56:24 AM »
can anyone recommend a good RS232 program?  OP wants OSX, im looking for Windows.  THanks in advance.

jetimages

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:10:34 AM »
I use a simple method that works fine!

- Use a USB to RS-232 cable (some TVs need a serial adapter with croossver)
- Use EventGhost, associate windows events to the serial plugin.

Thats it! I have my tvs shutdows when mediasignage go to standbymode ans power on after a windows restart. Also, in the same macro i mute the TV, Change the inut source and make a automatic adjustment.

If will be nice if we can do that directly in MS!

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines