November 19, 2019, 02:36:07 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Designing Ratios/Resolutions  (Read 3795 times)

kbaker

• View Profile
Designing Ratios/Resolutions
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »
Hi,
I just got the new MediaDroid 100 up and running in PORTRAIT mode.  However I am having problems when designing artwork.  Everything is appearing fine respective to the rotation - In other words playing in portrait no problem.

I'm designing some static images in Photoshop and don't know what size I should setup my layout.  I have a 27" Monitor capable to play 1080P (1920 x 1080) 16:9 Aspect ratio.

Can anyone give me some insight?

Thanks

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Designing Ratios/Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
When designing any page, make sure you design for the NATIVE resolution of your devices for the best image possible. First find out what native res your monitor is. Also, reading the res specs for the 100, it looks as if it is designed for 1280x720, but can do 1920x1080. So, if your monitor is native at 1280x720, then this is what you should set your canvas size to in photoshop. 1366x768 is also a close fit to 1280x720. The less that the devices have to scale up or down, the better the picture will be.

Now looking at my numbers, these are for landscape, just flip them for portrait.

kbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »
Thank you!  That helps alot!

I had one more question.  If I'm designing zones for this player, how do I do this in the Studio when it is set for landscape?  I understand my layout in Studio has to be landscape but my sign is in portrait - how should I approach this?

Thanks

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »
I am not aware of the limitation. Landscape for 1080 screen type would be 1920x1080, while portrait would be 1080x1920. Can you be more specific?

kbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »
Yes, I'm trying do design a screen division to be in portrait - What dimensions would I set the screen division in Studio? I want to have a division on the bottom of the screen full width.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:19:42 PM by kbaker »

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
Well that all depends on what you need. 
Software allows you to draw screen divisions with mouse so you just drag and draw what ever size fits your requirements and then create content according to the division size.

Like Criley explained about reversing the resolutions from landscape to portrait.
Landscape Full HD is 1920x1080
Portrait Full HD is 1080x1920
Just reverse Height & Width

kbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »
Yes I understand that.  I flipped the dimensions I'm using 720x1280 I can play content in full portrait no problem.  When it comes to creating divisions, im having issues where the division is stretched and distorted and running Vertical down the screen. -My screen format in studio has to be in landscape because it's Android.  So I created a landscape screen division and it's playing vertical.. Am I missing something here?  I was told I have to keep my screen setup in Studio as landscape.

Configuration I'm using:
Studio=Landscape
Content Design= Portrait
Divisions are being stretched.

Does that make sense?

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »
Sorry I stopped using Android so I have no way of testing it.
If you was using windows based player then it would be very simple to do what you are trying to do and everything would work like it supposed to work.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 11:01:58 PM »
I am sorry kbaker,

It doesn't make sense. I am not an android user either, but I would think if you building for portrait, then you would build in portrait. So, whom ever you taked to that told you otherwise, I would ask them again. BUT now that you tell us it is for android, are you sure that your android device is portrait capable?

Now did you try to turn your material 90 degrees with the Rotation setting under Position and Size for the resource? This may be a way around what you need.

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
I fount this app in google play store
"Rotation Control"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate_license&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsIm5sLmZhbWVpdC5yb3RhdGVfbGljZW5zZSJd

sounds like it can rotate screen and force lock it to any orientation. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines