September 18, 2020, 08:53:39 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Thin Client Setup  (Read 5916 times)

paulie

• View Profile
Thin Client Setup
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:45:27 AM »
has anyone tried or achieved setting up on thin client units.
We are looking into possible using this option for 25-30 displays all in different locations.
The idea is to have Windows OS and the Signage Player installed on each thin client.
Not quite sure how or if it would work. Really looking for some advice if possible.

:D

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thin Client Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:18:51 AM »
The original thin clients that boot up from the server and no hard disk with in the client will not work. If you are looking at small factor PC's like Atom processor 2.13 (cedarview) dual processor with 32GB/64GB SSD card  and windows7embeded should work. You need to reconfirm whether the signage player has been factored for the same. These processors are not fast and should be careful in using for complex animations .

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »
Assuming you want to stay legal (and putting aside performance issues for a second) why would you want to pay for all those Windows licences when you could do this in Android for hardware that costs less than a legit Windows license on its own?

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »
@warwickwater...You simply get what you pay for. And of course they want to keep it legal. As far as using Android devices, it would greatly depend on what the end user's content is like. Android is like the web version in that it cannot play all content or have all components.

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 12:19:50 PM »
With respect, you dont just get what you pay for - the Windows OS licence is a huge chunks of wasted money that is best avoided if at all possible. On some sites, we install a full HP server running Windows, and if doesnt matter it costs us £400 / $600. Other sites (like the OP I assume if he is talking about cheap thin clients) the hardware cost is more sensitive.

Obviously Linux would have a been a great solution, but as Adobe had pulled Flex theres no point going that way.

I didn't realise that the MediaSignage Android app was so crippled- I assumed it was like for like (or better) with the Windows one. Android as a whole is perfectly capable of 99.9% of media types - you only have to look at the quality of things like XBMC and some of the Android games. I guess MediaSignage will have to up their Android game a little - they are always going to be at the bottom end of the market cost wise, so supporting hardware that is $80 not $600 is going to be a key thing to come for many users, particularly those with big deplotments who might ultimately become the most important customers with private servers etc.

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:16:06 AM »
Why would you want to install expensive server that costs £400 what is wrong with basic windows 7 32bit.

After all the signage player is 32bit so anything more is just wasted.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
While I would agree that servers (regarding physical hardware) are not usually the best choice for digital signage as the Video Cards are usually not up to the standard, they can be used. But usually a desktop is just as powerful and would probably be a better choice depending again on the content used. It ultimately comes down to personal preference.

As for the 32-bit route vs the 64-bit, yes currently Adobe Air only supports 32-bit. But down the road, who knows. Why not get the 64-bit and the price is the same. Then when/if they do make it to the 64-bit world, you will not have to pay for an upgrade.

I say you get what you pay for, because it usually is true. I for one am always looking to find the most inexpensive route when I can. Who doesn't like to save money? I also use and support lots of open source software, but I also know that there are limitations to it as well. So, if you needed brain surgery, who would you trust the most, The surgeon at a world renowned hospital that charges you $500,000 or the surgeon down the street who is willing to do it for 10,000? In the end, it comes down to using the right tools for the job so that your client's expectations are not only met, but exceeded. What is your value proposition that you bring to the table, because there will always be someone willing to do it for less.

I am not sure why you would think the Android platform is "crippled", or why it would be better then Windows? MS was able to give you an added value, and OS that you can additionally use in your arsenal to support your clients. This currently is not their main platform. Maybe one day it will, but right now, it is just an added benefit. Everyone what's to circumvent the system to try and do it cheaper, then complain when it doesn't work on their home built machine. Android is an animal of it's own, which is why developers are not very fond of the environment. You have to build multiple versions of the app in the hopes it will work on the majority of them.

Going back to the OPs original question, I am not sure how the Thin Client would work out. It may be fine and I would not think it would be much different than the cat-5 extenders with the exception of the ability to be off site were range would be an issue for the extenders. I am just not sure how the video card of each device will handel it. I would be curious myself to hear any experiences, good and bad.

paulie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
hmmm, all has been noted.
We to are just looking at inexpensive and efficient alternatives without having to effect the quality.
The mediaplayers are slightly out of our budget and shipping/custom charges are also an added expense to consider for us.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines