February 20, 2020, 07:11:27 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Problem with Google Nexus 7 not playing  (Read 3788 times)

dditzler

• View Profile
Problem with Google Nexus 7 not playing
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:48:35 AM »
I am new to both the Android and Digital Signage but non the less, I ran through some of the tutorials and created a campaign and saved it to my device.

The device is listed in the Stations area of SignageStudio
list device with green light for connection, the correct name, Android OS = 4.1.2, Version = 4.10.12, airVersion 3.5.0.600 and says it is "playing" but I see nothing on the screen. If I touch and hold on the screen the info box comes up and it also shows it's playing. If I hit stop and start again sometimes I do see an icon briefly that looks like a more 3D version of the DigtialSignage logo (like a monitor or something) but then it goes black and from what I assume is thinking it is displaying the presentation.

I tried making a few other presentations. On that is a simple JPG that plays just to see if maybe it was a compatibility issue but it doesn't seem to help. I also looked at the data sections and it shows the app has been transferring data. Also in the Gallery section of my Nexus 7 it looks like there is one of the background images from SignageStudio used in one of my tests under the section Resources.

Unfortunately I don't have any other Android devices to debug this too. I could send it to another computer to test the campaign.

Also I am running this in "test station mode" if that makes a difference

Any ides?

thanks
-david

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Google Nexus 7 not playing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »
If you are new to digital signage then first try out with Windows based PC system. If the campaigns work then try the Android version. The signage does not work properly in all the android tablets. You might need to do some tweeks specially on certain features.

dditzler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 02:20:46 PM »
I did some more testing and I can get the Nexus 7 to play an animated RSS feed with text and photos and even the clock works fine but I can't get it to display a still image.

I used some of the standard JPG images and I can preview them but when it gets to that section on the table the screen shows a horizontal (loading type) graphic for a split second and then nothing but a black screen. When that section in the timeline goes back to the clock or RSS feed then it works fine again.

I also tried files I upload (JPG, PNG, and GIF) and none of them display either.

Is there something obvious I am missing? When I preview the sequence it looks fine in SignageStudio.

thanks for any help.

When I tried pushing it to a Windoze box as suggested it worked as expected. It is only the Android player that can't display the still images.

cheers
-david

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
I have never tried google nexus7 so cant give a valid answer but then Jpg, Png should work. Try in any other android tablets or mediadroids to see if it is the problem of jpg.. Are you able to see the files in the resource folder/
You can also try doing complete reinstall of the player and removing the cache files.

dditzler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »
Latest Update...

I did a live chat with Digital Signage today and they admitted there was a problem with Android build 4.1.2 which is what I am running on the Nexus 7.

I also received my Ug802 mini PC running Adroid 4.1.1 and that works fine. This is actually the hardware I want to roll out some of my test installs on but I was looking for a tablet that I could use to show clients.

I also received a message on my Google Nexus 7 today of an update to 4.2 and that I could get it OTA but when I clicked on it and did a reboot is still came back up running v 4.1.2 Android so I don't know what is going on.

If anyone is interested here is the link to the Ug802 mini PC = $43.00
Amazon product B009A6P2VC

and the wireless keyboard and mouse I am using $30.98
Amazon product B006OW1J1M

I will try to update this post with more information when I get it.

Thank you for your help.
-david

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 05:42:37 AM »
I can confirm my Nexus 7 doesnt work mith Mediasignage, who acknowledge the problem but dont yet have a time to fix. Works fine on various devices with older versions.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines