December 12, 2018, 02:45:25 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Presentation Randomly Re-Sizing to the Upper Left Corner Of Screen  (Read 10450 times)

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Presentation Randomly Re-Sizing to the Upper Left Corner Of Screen
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »
Ok, here is my potential solution to the matter. It looks like it it is due to a Monitor/PC sun issue as the PC is trying to detect the Monitor to see and set the resolution. You need to disable this feature. Unfortunately Microsoft has removed any potential for you to do this in Windows 7. So I offer you these solutions. The first two are the most recommended.

Solution (1)
You will need the following two adapters for this fix. (You will be creating an adapter that will disable Plug and Play / Screen Detection)

1 HDMI-Male to DVI-Female Adapter
1 DVI-Male to HDMI Female Adapter

Now take the Male DVI adapter and with needle nose pliers, remove Pin 16. Looking at the end with the long pin on the right, Pin 16 is the small pin in the middle right next to the long pin. If you are doing this with VGA, then you need to remove pin 12 on the VGA adapter. These are the pins responsible for sending the signal between the PC and the monitor making it plug and play. Removing this pin disables the auto detect monitor feature. Now when you turn off the monitor, the player does not know this and will play the campaign as if the monitor was still on. Now connect the adapters together DVI-DVI and plug in the HDMI cable to one end and the adapter into one of the devices. *******IMPORTANT!!!!!!! Note the current monitor resolution settings to include the Screen Refresh Rate. Since the Monitor will no longer be detectable, you will have to set the resolution manually. If you make the settings higher than what the monitor is designed to handle, you may do some damage. *******

Solution (2)
Sometimes commercial monitors allow scanning to continue on the ports even while it is turned off, obviously not while it is unplugged. This should also accomplish the same fix. Check your monitor settings to see if it does have this capability. If it does, then you do not need the hardware workaround.

Solution (3)
I do not know, therefore cannot confirm if it works, but rumor has it that changing a power setting in windows may also accomplish this, but I doubt it. Give it a try.

Go to the Control Panel and in the search area, type Power.
Choose "Edit Power Plan"
Next choose "Change Advanced power settings"
Under Balanced [Active], expand the USB settings until you see Setting:Enabled and Disable it
Click Apply.

I am not sure how this one will help, which is why I am in doubt, but who knows. I think the hardware solution would be a more reliable solution as an update will not have any effect or if you upgrade to Windows 8 down the road. You also may have a feature on your graphics card but most are using the integrated cards. Even if you have a stand alone card, you will probably have to edit the registry. Another expensive option might be to have an external device such as a DA that "may" trick the PC in thinking they are always on. I read somewhere you could Tape Pin 19 in the HDMI cable, but to me that is not a permanent solution.

Hopefully this helps the two of you and anyone else that may end up with this problem.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:51:08 PM by criley »

alivemedia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »
Ok, here is my potential solution to the matter. It looks like it it is due to a Monitor/PC sun issue as the PC is trying to detect the Monitor to see and set the resolution. You need to disable this feature. Unfortunately Microsoft has removed any potential for you to do this in Windows 7. So I offer you these solutions. The first two are the most recommended.

Solution (1)
You will need the following two adapters for this fix. (You will be creating an adapter that will disable Plug and Play / Screen Detection)

1 HDMI-Male to DVI-Female Adapter
1 DVI-Male to HDMI Female Adapter

Now take the Male DVI adapter and with needle nose pliers, remove Pin 16. Looking at the end with the long pin on the right, Pin 16 is the small pin in the middle right next to the long pin. If you are doing this with VGA, then you need to remove pin 12 on the VGA adapter. These are the pins responsible for sending the signal between the PC and the monitor making it plug and play. Removing this pin disables the auto detect monitor feature. Now when you turn off the monitor, the player does not know this and will play the campaign as if the monitor was still on. Now connect the adapters together DVI-DVI and plug in the HDMI cable to one end and the adapter into one of the devices. *******IMPORTANT!!!!!!! Note the current monitor resolution settings to include the Screen Refresh Rate. Since the Monitor will no longer be detectable, you will have to set the resolution manually. If you make the settings higher than what the monitor is designed to handle, you may do some damage. *******

Solution (2)
Sometimes commercial monitors allow scanning to continue on the ports even while it is turned off, obviously not while it is unplugged. This should also accomplish the same fix. Check your monitor settings to see if it does have this capability. If it does, then you do not need the hardware workaround.

Solution (3)
I do not know, therefore cannot confirm if it works, but rumor has it that changing a power setting in windows may also accomplish this, but I doubt it. Give it a try.

Go to the Control Panel and in the search area, type Power.
Choose "Edit Power Plan"
Next choose "Change Advanced power settings"
Under Balanced [Active], expand the USB settings until you see Setting:Enabled and Disable it
Click Apply.

I am not sure how this one will help, which is why I am in doubt, but who knows. I think the hardware solution would be a more reliable solution as an update will not have any effect or if you upgrade to Windows 8 down the road. You also may have a feature on your graphics card but most are using the integrated cards. Even if you have a stand alone card, you will probably have to edit the registry. Another expensive option might be to have an external device such as a DA that "may" trick the PC in thinking they are always on. I read somewhere you could Tape Pin 19 in the HDMI cable, but to me that is not a permanent solution.

Hopefully this helps the two of you and anyone else that may end up with this problem.

Chris

Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for putting in so much effort into this and looking up for a solution for the problem, I am hoping one of your solution definitely is going to work. I will give it a try and will update on this. Again thank you for your time. Really appreciate it.

Just a quick question what if I install xp instead of windows 7, can that be a solution in itself.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:41:20 PM by alivemedia »

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
No problem. Honestly I would stick with Windows 7 for now as XP is out the door. The issue will probably be the same in XP if you are using HDMI, but if you do go the XP route, You should be able to disable plug and play an this should work. Unfortunately that does not work for Windows 7. Back in the day when VGA was predominately used, Still is but more DVI now, this was usually not an issue and there were ways to get into the registry and make the changes or even hack into the graphics card to do what we needed.

I think the easiest thing is to do the hardware fix if you can, instead of messing with doing a new install of XP and then having it not supported later on for what ever reason. If you already have a box that has XP on it and want to give it a shot. Try it. XP was my favorite Windows OS.  :'( I miss it.

alivemedia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »
No problem. Honestly I would stick with Windows 7 for now as XP is out the door. The issue will probably be the same in XP if you are using HDMI, but if you do go the XP route, You should be able to disable plug and play an this should work. Unfortunately that does not work for Windows 7. Back in the day when VGA was predominately used, Still is but more DVI now, this was usually not an issue and there were ways to get into the registry and make the changes or even hack into the graphics card to do what we needed.

I think the easiest thing is to do the hardware fix if you can, instead of messing with doing a new install of XP and then having it not supported later on for what ever reason. If you already have a box that has XP on it and want to give it a shot. Try it. XP was my favorite Windows OS.  :'( I miss it.

Dear Chris,

I tried your solution, but as soon as I remove pin 16 on dvi, and I don't see anything on the screen. What could be the reason.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:27 PM »
The reason is the windows is not detecting the monitor to send the signal to it. Try going under resolutions and clicking on detect monitor. I will check back later as it is late and need some sleep.

alivemedia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
The reason is the windows is not detecting the monitor to send the signal to it. Try going under resolutions and clicking on detect monitor. I will check back later as it is late and need some sleep.

Thank you for your help. I tried to lower the resolution and restarted the computer, I see the BIOS screen and then the windows logo but after that it losses signal and monitor displays cable not connected. Let me know if you think of something else.

I even tried it with HDMI by covering pin 19, I get the same results, no display.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:30:58 AM by alivemedia »

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 07:41:44 AM »
Hmmmm, ok...

Try this. Plug your monitor in with the normal plug, then once windows opens up, try to swap out the plugs.

Also you can try selecting the Windows Key + P which is the display controller.

Also if these fail, try starting the PC in safe mode to see if you are able to see the Windows desktop.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:04:43 AM by criley »

alivemedia

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »
Hmmmm, ok...

Try this. Plug your monitor in with the normal plug, then once windows opens up, try to swap out the plugs.

Also you can try selecting the Windows Key + P which is the display controller.

Also if these fail, try starting the PC in safe mode to see if you are able to see the Windows desktop.

Tried all the options, tries swapping the cables, with normal cables it works but as soon as I change the cable to looses signal
Windows key + P doesn't do anything, when the displays losses signal I tried pressing it nothing and when I try switching the cable with a normal cable it showed a message saying projector not found I guess it was from the windows key +P key.

And good news is it works in safe mode but not sure what to do from here.

digitalONscreen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »
The hardware solution proposed in this thread is working for us.

http://script.digitalsignage.com/forum/index.php/topic,4040.msg12680.html#msg12680

Hope this helps.

Manny
digitalONscreen.com

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines