August 18, 2022, 11:54:14 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Quality fonts and grouping of exitent fonts  (Read 4060 times)

tobbe56

Quality fonts and grouping of exitent fonts
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:12:36 AM »
Working with customers that have a set graphic profile, you could say that none actually use fonts like "I hate comic sans" or "radiated pancake". When working with graphic design there´s also the problem that you know what you want, e.g. a thin sans-serif. Among the fonts in signagestudio there´s no grouping or indication of wich font is of wich type.

My suggestion is that you invest in quality instead of quantity. Fonts like Futura, Helvetica and Frutiger have sticked around the decades due to the fact that people use them and find them to be good. Most of the fonts that exist in signagestudio are of the type that I´ve never heard of them and nor do I wish to. Perhaps is the use of google fonts a way to go. Free to use as I understand it and with a range of fonts that are actually useful!
The fact that customers can´t install own fonts that are a part of their graphic profile is a problem. Sure, you could work around the problem by making some .png:s. But that removes one of the best features in the product, that the customer (easy) can change the message.

Also you should get some sort of index of existing fonts. Serifs, thin, book, regular, semibold, bold, etc. and the same for Sans-serifs, scripts and the weird fonts like "samba is my death" This index could be placed here on your weppage for easy access and would make the workflow more efficient for your customers.

IPNDDS

Re: Quality fonts and grouping of exitent fonts
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »
I have also encountered an issue with fonts.  Love the idea of quality vs quantity.

justadsguy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »
Agreed.

How cool would it be to be able to upload our own fonts -- or pull in web-fonts, ie Google Fonts -- that are always changing and adding?

tobbe56

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:45:59 AM »
Any update or perhaps a statement from DigitalSignage?
We´re actually loosing business to competitors due to the fact that we can´t meet custumer demand.

Typography is a very basic part of graphic design, to limit this in the way that is done in Studio gives you extremelly limited options. It needs to be attended.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:52 AM »
it's something on the road map but we don't have an ETA.
You could upload swf files with embedded fonts for vector based fonts as a partial solution.

ukdigital

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »
+1 on this, gutted that the standard known fonts are not available!

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines