January 24, 2020, 05:18:31 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: DigitalSignage in Schools - Managing content  (Read 3220 times)

cslater

• View Profile
DigitalSignage in Schools - Managing content
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a teacher in a school looking to find a way to auto-update an "e-billboard" within our building more efficiently and have tried the below ideas. I'm looking for some insight or possible solutions in hopes of avoiding having to log into the Signage studio for every update (will help to avoid the resource management issues as well due to a lack of folders). I usually am given an assortment of documents(poster-like) through email and asked to place these on the board for the following "x"-days. As you can imagine this becomes vary cumbersome to continually upload and then reconfigure within the SignageStudio and channels; therefore, I'm hoping to be able to take my emails and forward them to a blog (auto-update). Anyways here is what I tried and the limitations I have found, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

1) My first thought was to use Posterous (remote email posting) and then utilize the Custom RSS Component to pull information. I was planning to set intervals at 15seconds and the duration/update to 3mins. Thus it would only show the 12 most recent posts (180seconds/15seconds/post = 12 posts). This would then limit the feed from pulling posts that were too old for display from my understanding. However, I was stonewalled by the fact that I had not heard Posterous was going down. So that was an epic fail...

2) I looked at utilizing WordPress in a similar manner, but the custom RSS fields pulls the avatar image as the resource not the attached media file. (Title and description work fine).

3) I am currently considering Flickr as the customrss resource field pulls the main image  but it has no remote email updating from my understanding. Therefore it wouldn't increase efficiency.

BTW - Im utilizing CustomRSS as I only want the image to appear within a scene/screen division. (Title and description are irrelevant for my needs)

Any thoughts, web-services that I should look into or alternate paths would be greatly appreciated. I'm also new to this forum so if more info is needed or my explanation is missing key concepts let me know. Look forward to participating in discussions and eventually helping others as well once I'm familiar with the software.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:04:17 AM by cslater »

SimplyLocal

• View Profile
Re: DigitalSignage in Schools - Managing content
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »
Did you get this resolved?  I am need to have RSS feeds to update without restarting the player.  Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.  I set the refresh to 5 minutes, but it didn't seem to work.  Does it make a difference if you are using a scene vs using a resource directly on the timeline?

gang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 05:40:35 AM »
We developed a software- Poster Editor, combine media studio can publish Poster without open studio software. you can go to flashmedia.net.au take a look, or contact me, it may helps.

mseibert2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:30:35 AM »
I know I am late to this thread however to achieve this you can do something like I did and use a google document. Once you create a Google document you can publish it to the web and utilized the web link to display the web page. Then you can also share that Google document with whomever needs to update the information. I believe the published document refreshes every 5 minutes.

chazbomusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
I know I am late to this thread however to achieve this you can do something like I did and use a google document. Once you create a Google document you can publish it to the web and utilized the web link to display the web page. Then you can also share that Google document with whomever needs to update the information. I believe the published document refreshes every 5 minutes.

How does the Google document appear in the SignagePlayer? What kind of content do you put in the Google Document? Text only or images and text?

angelohotel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 01:54:15 AM »
cslater, did you find possible solution?

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines