February 26, 2020, 11:36:30 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: HTML5 - Offline content cached  (Read 6669 times)

jetimages

• View Profile
HTML5 - Offline content cached
« on: November 24, 2012, 03:56:11 AM »
I'm using a weather forecast that we developed in HTML5 and sits on top of a video in the background. The problem is that when the internet connection drops, the content disappears.

We can use the command Cache Manifest forcing the player to keep content even without connection?

We did some tests with browsers and it worked, but not with the player.

If that does not work is there any other way to keep a cached HTML?

Thank you!

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HTML5 - Offline content cached
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:24:43 AM »
@jetimages

How were you able to accomplish adding the HTML5 content? Is this using the HTML component while having the content on a web server elsewhere? Were you able to have transparency as well so you could see the video in the background?

jetimages

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
It was something difficult to achieve, since for some reason the HTML is not transparent. But if you look at the field properties "common - appeareance" there are some options for blending modes, moved to Multiply and it was! All white disappears! For some images in HTML that's bad, but it's better this way than with the background of HTML.

Dear admin, any idea how to cache the HTML to work offline?
It would be possible to convert a full HTML for a MRSS?
Why Manifesto Cache don't work with the player?

Tks

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
I'm using a weather forecast that we developed in HTML5 and sits on top of a video in the background. The problem is that when the internet connection drops, the content disappears.

Sounds interesting. Treat us all to a Youtube (and/ or a step by step tutourial!)

actnowguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
nice job sounds interesting enough..........

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »
If HTML content could be played offline using manifest cache it should be an interesting and extremely helpful feature no need to worry for the internet drop connection.

jetimages

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 01:51:20 AM »
Manifest Cache is a great option for web applications. Implementation is simple and with that we could greatly expand the possibilities of dynamic content within the player.

Searching the forum I saw that the HTML rendering egine is WebKit, which is the same basis Safari browser. In Safari the command works and content is offline, with text and images saved locally.

But the player did not work, the html content is not displayed when the connection drops. Perhaps some additional configuration solves the problem.

Let's wait what the Admin has to say.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »
I am sorry to say we do not currently have plans to add HTML caching, however it can be accomplished with a local proxy server that can even run on the same machine.

HVL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
MSearching the forum I saw that the HTML rendering egine is WebKit, which is the same basis Safari browser. In Safari the command works and content is offline, with text and images saved locally.

Just to verify that the browser is indeed webkit, I linked a test station I have in the office to "www.whatismybrowser.com". The following was the result.  http://imgur.com/3oDCc
Disregard the "Adobe Air" in the top. Look instead on the single line in the very bottom.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows: U; da-DK) AppleWebkit/533, 19.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) - Adobe Air /3.5

I have earlier, when attempting to refresh the content of a HTML-component in a campaign of mine with javascript, had issues with this old version of webkit. I had to use SetTimeout instead of SetInterval, because that command wasn't supported.

It was something difficult to achieve, since for some reason the HTML is not transparent. But if you look at the field properties "common - appeareance" there are some options for blending modes, moved to Multiply and it was! All white disappears! For some images in HTML that's bad, but it's better this way than with the background of HTML.

Thanks for this info! I didn't know this. Most useful.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:37:41 PM by HVL »

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
If you are referring to the fact that it says Mozilla, All browsers will say this. It is a compatibility need from way back in the early days of Netscape. The second part is what tells you it is webkit and not Gecko (Firefox), and that last part tells you the application. Both Chrome and Safari are Webkit, and Adobe Air uses it as well.

HVL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
If you are referring to the fact that it says Mozilla, All browsers will say this. It is a compatibility need from way back in the early days of Netscape. The second part is what tells you it is webkit and not Gecko (Firefox), and that last part tells you the application. Both Chrome and Safari are Webkit, and Adobe Air uses it as well.

Nope. Just pointing out that the browser is indeed webkit. And that it apparently isn't very up to date with handling javascript.

jetimages

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
I am starting my test with an HTTP server (apache) on each player to have the cached content. The first test setup worked very well and was not too difficult. I believe that may be a good way to solve the problem. Once I finished testing a new post explaining the details.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 06:29:26 AM »
Hmmm, now that is thinking outside of the box. I am assuming you are using WAMP or MAMP for this?

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines