November 22, 2019, 03:34:08 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Monitor Freezing  (Read 4149 times)

digitalzack

• View Profile
Monitor Freezing
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:20:29 AM »
Hi there

we are currently testing your software on our screens...

Today and friday we discovered on a station, where we made a live test, that the monitors were going black after approximately 2 hours. Sometimes there came an static background image from one spot, but most time only black...

So for a better understanding - its 1 PC with 16 monitors and an entire resolution of 3840*2160 with matrox graka's
The PC system has a setup of an i7 processor with 3,07ghz, 6gb ram and win7.

The campaign which was played twice was with some .swf files and .mov files all working fine ... but after two hours the screens were black, except the background image from one spot.

We have no idea what happens and need help, because otherwise we can't use the software... :/

If you need more information ... just ask

My assumption is that its because of one spot which requires .xml and loads news information... but i'm not sure, because in our office on a normal system (which means 1 pc +1 screen) all content working fine...

Maybe you have any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor Freezing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
Hi,
There could be several reasons including:

1. The PC running the presentation has power savings turned on at the OS level or the BIOS level
2. You have turned on power savings in our software
3. You are using the Scheduler but did not scheduled any content after the 2nd day so it will show black screen. (I suspect this)

Regards,

Sean.

cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
Another possibility is the matrox devices that are causing the unknown problem.

If you tested the same PC with only 1 screen and gave no problem, further evidence that can be the matrox device. I'm not saying they are in trouble, but it may be that they are giving bug after all this time.

digitalzack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
@admin

there is running an other signage software normally on this pc, we are only testing your software because we want to change if it's working...

1) ... so there can't be any os or bios shutdown at this time (a reboot happens at 4am...) and i saw that the station was running - absolut sure about this ;)
2) ... no checked already
3) ... no don't think so - but I'll check this in the office ---> edit: no was sequence

@cloud

mh don't think so because like i said we are running an other signage software on the system and there are no screen problems... only during the live test i shut down the other software.

so in my opinion the pc is ok - the only thing i can imagine is that the software needs so much power that this freezing happens... but i don't know exactly and hope it would be something else, because if we don't find a solution we can't use it...

any other ideas? maybe it was a spot? because we use an flash file with xml content... ?

edit:
and because i noticed that the signagecontroller.exe is in a folder named "win32" - is there no support for 64bit? because we installed 6gb ram on this pc...

edit2:
i made yesterday an picture one spot in front of the freezing problem, because the spot before showed this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/img20121112160147.jpg/
you can see in the right corner there are 4 monitors which are half black and build up the whole picture... at the end of the spot the wall was complete, but at the next spot - there was the black screen problem...
thats also one reason because i think it has maybe to do with this spot...

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:53:51 AM by digitalzack »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:14:09 AM »
please speak to live support so they can review your campaign setup.

regards

digitalzack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:31:56 AM »
write an email - hope to get answer soon ;)

because of the different time zones and the fact that the stations are in public places i can't wait hours and show the people black screens. thats also the reason why i'm writing here also, maybe anyone has an idea ;)

one question:

is the pc setup good enough for 16 screens and your signage software??

intel i7 with 3,07 ghz
6 gb ram
win 7 64 bit

16 screens with an entire resolution of 3840*2160

yes/no?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
the max resolution we support is 4096x4096 and Live chat is open 18 hours a day so I am sure you can find some overlap hours: http://chat.digitalsignage.com

cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
After getting a black screen, it goes back to normal after some time, or the rest goes black after a while, or looks like the rest of the day?

digitalzack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »
well i waited only 15-25 minutes because it's in public space, so i don't know

i'm testing currently an other station which is running already 9 hours... and no problems... so i guess its only this station...

digitalzack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:48:16 AM »
anyone experience with using 1 pc and 16 screens?

If yes - pls write me your hardware you are using for this :)

or @admin if you tested this already - which hardware did you use?

thanks for your help

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 09:22:53 PM »
@digitalzack

I am curious...Are you by any chance running RSS as well, or running a couple of components that need to pull data at the same time?

Also, you bring up an interesting question about 32bit vs 64bit. I never really gave it much thought, and then I just looked. The install for the player is in the 32bit folder, which would indicate it is in fact 32bit. I did a little more research and found that Adobe Air may very well have only 1 flavor. It is mentioned that it can be installed on a 64bit OS as they can run 32bit also, but nowhere does it say if it comes in 32 or 64. Several other folks have also asked Adobe to build one as they also need the use of more than 4GB of RAM. Sounds like you may have a couple of extra GB of memory collecting dust. You may be able to put it to good use though for virtual memory or your GPU may be able to use it.

digitalzack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 01:25:39 PM »
sry for the late answer ...

the problem isn't solved at the moment, but actually i've some other screen problems with html components and the same spots.

this time the setup is:

2 monitors - one with 1280*720 and the other with 1080*1920

the small screen (1280*720) is a touch screen and working fine - the big one (1080*1920) playing some pictures, .mov's and two 30 sec's long html components

first one: luminated.at/ddmg/dd_slider_oe24news_1080x1920.swf (add http : //www.)
second one: luminated.at/ddmg/dd_slider_oe24sport_1080x1920.swf (add http : //www.)

both files showing news loading from an other website. I use the html components because if i use these .swf files direct with ressources there is the screen freezing problem again.

But now after some hours of playing fine this: imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/bildschirmfoto20121218u.png/ (add http://)
happens - as you can see - the background image is the only content which appears on the screen.

The other files playing correct except the two html (one is green the other brown of course)
So no screen freezing, but instead background freezing and blank content with these 2 html components..

Anyone an idea why this happens?

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines