August 11, 2020, 03:08:16 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: 4.0.90 broken as well! [FIXED]  (Read 3241 times)

warwickwater

• View Profile
4.0.90 broken as well! [FIXED]
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:59:02 AM »
Player upgraded manually to 4.0.90 (ie person sat at pc did it). Played fine for a few hours.  Display is a simple slideshow - no flash, no video, nothing clever.

In a loop, we see the player (4.0.90) start up, with the status screen showing server connected and controller running. The first slide appears (scheduled for 10 seconds) but within a second the player stops running and the screen goes back to the windows desktop, then the player restarts (possibly from the controller - cant tell). This happens in a loop forever.

Previous to this the system was observefd working for a few hours fine. No content changes, no connections from studio. Network fine, pc installs seems fine.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:20:53 PM by warwickwater »

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 4.0.90 broken as well!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:11:02 AM »
I think that the other posts in this forum may be related as well.

http://script.digitalsignage.com/forum/index.php/topic,2075.0.html
http://script.digitalsignage.com/forum/index.php/topic,2083.0.html

I too am having issues since, I believe, 4.0.88. It seems that the player crashes every so often for no apparent reason. It never did this before and nothing has been changed in the campaign. I cannot tell when exactly the crash happens. I have played with all settings in the station reboot area and now have all settings turned to off. CPU stays around 75% with the Signage Player running sometimes peaking out. I have plenty of memory installed (4 GB) and the player looks to be eating memory. It starts of at around just under 100 MB but then grows to around 1.8 GB then crashes. The symptoms are similar to a memory leak, but every now and then, the memory use does drop, but will still continue to clime shortly after.

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »
I'm not sure mine is the same issue - its dying to quick to be a memory leak over time.  I'm reasonably sure now that mine was a controller issue - the controller was seeing the player as 'dead' and so killing it so respawn it. I'm not sure what I have changed but I have my 4.0.90 player running now, stable for 8 hours (OK - no big deal!) and memory use isn't climbing.

I do have REALLY simple content though - just a series of JPG stills, no video, no 'proper' flash, no interactivity.

A trick from the 'old days' was to video tape (or its equivalent these days) the player output so that you can see if there is any consistency in what's playing when it crashed. Not hi tech - but its works!

Goog luck with resolving it!

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
Playing solid for a couple of days now, 4.0.90 on both player and studio, same VERY simple content, but stable for me.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 4.0.90 broken as well! [FIXED]
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
great! I took a few days off testing mine.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines