December 07, 2019, 10:13:57 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Players are getting blue screened too often with new 4.0x  (Read 2866 times)

Dan

• View Profile
Players are getting blue screened too often with new 4.0x
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:46:22 AM »
Since we've upgraded to 4.0x, all of our players seem to be crashing a lot more. It's not just the signage player software, it's the whole system (Win7e). Customers are calling complaining that the TV is just showing a blue screen saying "fatal error". Just wanted to check and see if anyone else is having this problem at all? Trying to pinpoint the issue here asap.

Thanks!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Players are getting blue screened too often with new 4.0x
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »
I don't know of any cases like this... In fact 4.0.80+ is as stable as ever with performance that exceeds 3.0

Are you using low end players? like Atom based?

global media

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:30:34 PM »
Hi Dan, since we switched over to 4.0, we also have had our screens have blue screens as well. We havent figured it out either, we had to go to location and start everythhing up, let me know what you find

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
Admin:

No, the players are not low-end. They are custom-built Quad Core P8600 CPU with 4GB ram, 32GB SSD hard drives and Intel Video. With playback running they sit at 20-30% CPU usage and that's with multi-zoned content.

The blue screens are happening probably every 2 days and randomly throughout different players. They say "subsystem process terminated" - and upon checking the event viewer, it just says "the system was rebooted or shutdown unexpectedly"... which seems like it's just quitting for some reason or crashing Win7e. The players are all on UPS battery backup so we know it's not a power issue. It's really causing a support nightmare for us and we can't figure it out since moving to 4.0!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:57:35 AM »
Hi Dan,
I recommend you run 3.0 SignagePlayer on a few stations that crash just to compare.
Provide Lawrence on Live chat your campaign info and I would be happy to run QA on it to report what I see.

Sean.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:37 AM »
Sean,

The stations are all on-site at our customer's locations in service. Pulling them down for testing won't be acceptable to our customers. Can you suggest another direction of trouble shooting? We have started keeping a log of how often and what systems are going down and it's adding up quickly. :(

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:10 AM »
I meant get us the campaign info... not physical players...

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 07:00:58 AM »
I'm going to get in touch with Lawrence today. It's now happening every day. This morning I checked the status of all stations on a 17 station network and 4 of them were down. I was able to login to two of them, and noticed that the signageplayer software was opening up, and then automatically closing right afterwards and not loading the presentation. What is going on with this new 4.0x? We run our whole business based on your software and it's really having a negative impact on us. I don't want to have to consider switching to another provider but if this continues we will have no choice unfortunately.

HELP! I'll get Lawrence involved here in a bit.

John Maddox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »
It exhibited that behavior for me once with no internet connection (the signage player opening and then closing).

No BSOD for me so far...but I'm running the mediaBOX..so I wonder if that could have something to do with it.  I'm also very, very choosy about which Windows updates I apply.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines