July 21, 2019, 08:51:27 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Suspected H264 codec Bug ANYONE ELSE?  (Read 9660 times)

teethstraight

• View Profile
Suspected H264 codec Bug ANYONE ELSE?
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
This issue was touched on in a previous posting, but I am making a new thread because I want as many people possible to read this and give their input.

I believe MOV with H.264 codec is the best quality format for signage content. Its file size is economical and its quality is far superior to FLV. Player 3.0 handled MOV fine for the most part. Playback was smooth and the image was crisp and clear. However, around January of this year, I started having issues with content dropping to black. By 'black' I mean just a blank screen when content should have been playing. Some files would black out or begin midway through their duration, while others would not play at all. Back then, the admins advised I stick to FLV, which I began doing.

However, I have several portrait screens which have remained a problem because switching them to an FLV format will not work. For those who don't know, FLV cannot have a height resolution greater than 1080, which means that HD resolution can never be achieved for FLVs in portrait mode.

I have been doing hundreds of tests with H264 codecs and multiple versions of 4.0 (from 4.0.10 to 4.0.77). I now constantly have problems with these MOV files rendered with an H264 codec. The admins deny that there are any bugs, but I challenge them/you to recreate my scenarios and see if you encounter the same problems.

• I use After Effects for all content creation. A QuickTime file rendered in the H264 codec directly from After Effects produces the following result: file blacks out midway through duration, or begins from black midway through duration.
  • Another method is to export uncompressed (no codec) from After Effects, and then render in the H264 codec through either Premier or Quicktime Pro or other encoders. Renders result in the following: video holds motion/playback for about a second into duration and then continues playing. The hold occurs a few frames into playback, so one never actually gets to see the beginning of video

Now here's the kicker, these anomalies only occur on PLAYERS when a campaign is running. If you playback the files within Studio under the Resources tab THERE IS NO PROBLEM. Now how can you tell me that is not bug related? I have tried this on various hardware types including the MediaBOX, and the results are all the same. My suspicion is that the internal fade transition between resources on a timeline is causing problems with the MOVs (H264 codec).

I really just want to find a solution to this problem, and I would really like to know if others get the same results. Like I said, the problems were not always guaranteed in 3.0, but they occur every time within 4.0, which again adds fire to my bug theory.

In conjunction with this post, I am emailing a video to mstech@mediasignage to showcase the problems.

Rich

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Suspected H264 codec Bug ANYONE ELSE?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »
teethstrait,

I would be curious how your footage would look if you just took your MOV files and changed the extension from .mov to .flv. As long as it is compressed with the H.264 codec, it should work. I do not know if that would also make any difference in the blackouts you have been having.

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:05:30 AM »
Criley, changing the file extension does not do anything. The files play with same problems.

Admins, you have emailed me stating that the problem is likely a result of Adobe Air 3.4 bugs. Please then explain to me why the videos playback in Studio without problems? Studio is also running on Adobe Air 3.4, right? And these issues occur on previous versions of Air in any case.

I am not expecting this to be fixed right this moment. I just would like some acknowledgement that there is a problem and that you're looking into it. I would like to know if you experience the same results with H264 codecs as I do. Am I seriously the only person having this issue?

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
This is what I have noticed under 4.0

I use lots of FLV H264 files. under 3.0 they were smooth and fast to download, on web player streaming live without any freezing or load issues.

However same files under 4.0 now struggle to play smooth.  on web player most of them have to load (same under studio file has to fully download before play)

under studio 3.0 files would start to play straight away without seeing that loading bar. FLV are designed to stream play not cache first and then play. 

rknight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:29 AM »
I've been trying to use Media Signage's software for about 2 years and I still have not seen smooth HD video. Any soultions or special ways to encode the video would be greatly appreciated. I've tried FLV & MP4 using the H.264 codec and still the same jerky video. It always looks like its playing at about 15-20 fps. Playing the same videos using other players(WMP, VLC, etc) and it plays just fine.

I believe its bugs, call the orkin man ;)

RK

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:20:31 AM »
have you tried our mediaBOX? You will get 30 fps with full HD no problem.

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »
@rknight

I have managed to achieve smooth HD playback back on 2.0 and 3.0. I rendered from After Effects as a Quicktime format using the H264 codec. However, with 4.0 I cannot get any MOV H264 HD clips to play without some kind of problem (blackouts, stuttering, repeats).

I don't quite classify FLV as true HD (because there is a noticeable decrease in quality from MOV), but using landscape orientated FLVs in 4.0, I don't have any problems. My workflow is to export directly from After Effects as FLV using the H264 codec. More recently, I have begun rendering uncompressed from After Effects and then encoding to FLV with H264 codec from either Premier or Quicktime Pro. All methods give me smooth playback. What software are you using?

In terms of hardware, I use the MediaBOX 200 as my main player, and playback is smooth. I have noticed that the MediaBOX 100 struggles with some FLV content, though. I have other custom built high end players that also playback smoothly.

@FIX-ME
I've noticed the same playback issues between 3.0 and 4.0.

Let's hope we get some fixes soon. After all, content is king, right? If we can't play our content, what's the point? 

rknight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:50:18 AM »
@ teethstraight

I have Premiere & After Effect CS6, but you cannot create an h.264 flv with either of them. You can only create a h.264 F4V file...but the Signage Studio doesn't support f4v files.

I'm am using a mediaBOX 100

RK

teethstraight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
@ RK

I'm using CS5, but I don't think there's much change from CS6. Either you're using a pirated or trial version of CS6 which might not have full render capabilities, or you're just missing something.

Go to 'Composition' > 'Add to Render Queue'
In your render queue, go to 'Output Module'
You should see a dropdown list of all the different formats you can render in. Select FLV.
Go to 'Format Options' and select the H264 codec.

Voila

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 11:42:36 AM »
Hi rknight
you need to export to MOV from after effects and then convert that MOV file to FLV H264
use this freemaker video converter
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

You can not export FLV H264 from After Effects
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:44:40 AM by FIX-ME »

rknight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »
Is that the only way FIX-ME... I can't believe that it is?

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »
I use After Effects for all my graphics, intros & animated logos. 
Some of the files I export using SWF to keep the transparencies, Most longer intros I export to MOV H264.

Signage player can play MOV but file size of MOV is huge plus not suitable for web player.  Only way around is to convert it using freemaker & convert it to FLV. 
FLV looks great & small file size and it is perfect for web players as FLV plays as it loads unlike MOB has to first all load or cache to memory before starts to play.

Try it out it is only way to get HQ Video with small file size.

evie.johansson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 06:27:16 AM »
Digital Media Converter is  a good free audio video converter software that converts every type of media file. No adware, and completely virus free.  Supports almost any file format and it is a fast converter.
(deskshare.com/media-converter.aspx)

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 07:58:48 PM »
Make sure you render with audio, even if it is a silent audio track.  I always use Freemake Video Converter and re-encode as .FLV with the h264 codec.  Make sure you render WITH audio checked and be sure to add a silent audio clip.

Dogdilm

• View Profile
Suspected H264 codec Bug ANYONE ELSE
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 03:42:43 AM »
Thanks brother: got the bug and fixed it. Will upload with the next beta
Costas

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines