August 12, 2020, 09:32:41 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Dual Audio Output Mediabox???  (Read 4162 times)

michael.lafrance

• View Profile
Dual Audio Output Mediabox???
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:56:36 AM »
When using dual displays (HDMI & DVI/VGA output, plus 1/8" audio cable for VGA display), I'm only getting audio though the display  connected via HDMI not the VGA plus 1/8" audio cable. Checking the windows settings I seem to be able to get one or the other but not both. Does anyone have any experience with this and a suggestion?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Audio Output Mediabox???
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
correct, only single audio output is supported in the mediaBOX.

HVL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »
This is actually quite a problem. I was going to suggest, that unless you needed to have separate audio outputs, you could just use a passive splitter from the audio, but that won't work. If you do this, the screen with VGA+minijack will have the audio, but the HDMI screen will not be listening to the incoming audio from the minijack. I have bad experiences with passive splitters for the mediaBOX, so I wouldn't recommend those.

michael.lafrance

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »
It would be the same audio to both screens. The only thing I can think of is to use a hdmi splitter and run an hdmi cable to both screens or use a vga and audio splitter and run a vga and audio cable to both screens. Has anyone done this? I'd like to get some feedback before purchasing the cables/splitters.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »
Michael,

I have used Distribution Amplifiers in the past when I needed long runs or multiple screens that mirrored each other. I have never had a problem with them at all. I have only used the ones for VGA, but I would imagine that HDMI would be just the same. Another thought might be a dual port video card that has two HDMI ports. I would imagine that might work as well. I don't know if it is still a limitation of Mediasignage, but I would think it would have nothing to do with it used that way since it is the same comm port.

Try this link to see what I am talking about. http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-1x2-HDMI-Distribution-Amplifier-HDMI-with-3D-Support.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:56:34 PM by criley »

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:09:48 AM »
Hi all
I believe computers in general can only output 1 audio stream.
HDMI or 3.5mm Jack
When you connect 3.5mm jack, most motherboards auto detect this and enable 3.5mm jack & disable HDMI output. I don’t think you can have HDMI audio & 3.5mm both at same time unless some one corrects me on this.

Now you want to use dual display but you didn't mention if both screens are going to be displaying clone/mirror image or displaying different content. This information is important before I can suggest any workaround this problem.

michael.lafrance

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 05:09:52 AM »
Yes it is for a cloned/mirrored display. So, same audio and video to both screens.

GRAFIXMEDIA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Best option for you would be to use the HDMI output and use HDMI Splitter / 1 Input To 2 Output

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »
Check the link above in my last comment for what you need. There are of course other brands and models, but this should give you an idea of what is needed.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines